Air suspension scan tool or?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAP01

Reaction score
I have a 2005 RWD Navigator. Using the OBDLinkXE adapter with Forscan but cannot find the correct module to check the air suspension voltages. Anyone know how to correctly hook this thing up or suggest other software. All relative new Arnott air springs. I would rather fix than convert it if i can but will if need be. Has anyone done this conversion and happy? I hear they don't ride nearly as nice plus are 1-2" higher (ore for a 4X4).
Appreciate any help
Thanks

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ForScan won't see the suspension module on my 2004 EB either. My Zurich OBDII scanner will though.

I swapped the air suspension to conventional on mine and have been very pleased. The only thing I lost was load leveling. I went with the 9-way adjustable Rancho QuickLift struts. The front is the same height, the rear about 1" higher. Handling improved, towing improved, ride comfort(soft ride) is improved if I soften the struts, but I like them stiff, setting 9. No way I'd go back to listening to that dang compressor run for 5 minutes at every startup.

However, I also prefer to limit complexity and technology in favor of simplicity and reliability. Conventional springs are much simpler and more reliable than air springs, compressor, height sensor, computer module, air lines, solenoids etc.....

OP
OP
M

MAP01

Reaction score
Which Model Zurich do you have that can access the air suspension. Can you actually adjust the sensor with it as to voltage? operate the solenoids as well?
Thank you

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Zurich ZR-Pro, it's a tablet basically, but it's no longer available from Harbor Freight at least. I'm not sure checking to see what it can do regarding the suspension module matters as a result. I wouldn't be able to verify anything since the solenoids are in the attic, the sensors have locked up just haven't taken the time to remove them yet.

Jdizzle

Reaction score
ForScan won't see the suspension module on my 2004 EB either. My Zurich OBDII scanner will though.

I swapped the air suspension to conventional on mine and have been very pleased. The only thing I lost was load leveling. I went with the 9-way adjustable Rancho QuickLift struts. The front is the same height, the rear about 1" higher. Handling improved, towing improved, ride comfort(soft ride) is improved if I soften the struts, but I like them stiff, setting 9. No way I'd go back to listening to that dang compressor run for 5 minutes at every startup.

However, I also prefer to limit complexity and technology in favor of simplicity and reliability. Conventional springs are much simpler and more reliable than air springs, compressor, height sensor, computer module, air lines, solenoids etc.....
i have an 04 expy 4x4 EB 5.4 and replaced the airbags with Arnott bags and rebuilt all 4 a while ago. All was well and the fronts started leaking from the bags from what I can tell. The rear was leaking but got it fixed. Tried taking them apart, swapping parts, checking o-rings and all looks good and still leaks…driving me crazy. I did have one camp trip the shock deflated overnight, not a good feeling when your out of state camping. Looking at the rancho quicklift but I use it to tow a 7k lb travel trailer. You mentioned towing is improved, how so? Do you also use a weight distribution hitch to level it back out?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the factory hitch. So it does squat a bit of course with a trailer now that the load leveling air suspension has been removed. However, the truck in general is much more stable now with the Rancho struts and springs compared to the air bags. The suspension is tighter, less sway and the truck is pulled around less by the trailer than it was with the air suspension.

Heaviest trailer I have pulled is ~5,500lbs. I pulled that car trailer with my wifes car almost 300 miles including through some of small mountains in southern Virginia. In fact that trip is my avatar pic, haha. Once we hit the interstate the truck was very stable at 75-80mph. I never pulled over 65 with the air suspension it just didn't feel stable enough.

Sounds like you tow a lot more than I do. I'd have to seriously think about the air suspension if I towed a lot and heavier. My preference would be the Rancho Quicklift struts with add-on air bags for load. Not sure how that could be pulled off with the IRS we have though. It's pretty easy with a solid axle.

Jdizzle

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! I’ve recently found out the newer expys don’t have the option of load leveling anymore and only coil struts. Crazy as those have over 9k lb tow rating with no load leveling option. Guess the air system was more of a pain for Ford. Only thing I’ve seen for tow support for springs on independent suspension is the coil sumo spacers. I ordered new bags for the front (under warranty) so we’ll see how that goes when they come in. Even if it does fix it I’m still going to have the thought of when will it fail next? Might still end up with the quicklift and add the sumo spring insert spacers, those seem to have the best of both worlds of comfort to stiff suspension.

Jdizzle

Reaction score
I have the factory hitch. So it does squat a bit of course with a trailer now that the load leveling air suspension has been removed. However, the truck in general is much more stable now with the Rancho struts and springs compared to the air bags. The suspension is tighter, less sway and the truck is pulled around less by the trailer than it was with the air suspension.

Heaviest trailer I have pulled is ~5,500lbs. I pulled that car trailer with my wifes car almost 300 miles including through some of small mountains in southern Virginia. In fact that trip is my avatar pic, haha. Once we hit the interstate the truck was very stable at 75-80mph. I never pulled over 65 with the air suspension it just didn't feel stable enough.

Sounds like you tow a lot more than I do. I'd have to seriously think about the air suspension if I towed a lot and heavier. My preference would be the Rancho Quicklift struts with add-on air bags for load. Not sure how that could be pulled off with the IRS we have though. It's pretty easy with a solid axle.
with the quicklifts do you still have some rake on the expy? If so how much? No options for airbags once traditional struts/coil overs are installed. I use a weight distribution hitch but not sure if I’ll get all the sag out. I recently swapped the bags out again and it still leaks….too many days wasted on this so time to switch. Only options I’m seeing is Rancho, KYB, Monroe, and strutmasters. Im leaning towards the Ranchos for ride adjustments and a bit of height added, not sure I’m digging the level look though for towing though.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not fighting with air leaks was and not listening to the annoying air compressor anymore was my reason for swapping to springs when the air springs began leaking. There are certainly advantages/disadvantages to both though.

When I have had about a 5500lb trailer behind it I do have a bit of squat/sag with springs compared to the air suspension. Obviously it was always level with the air suspension, with the springs it sags maybe 1". No question I would go with the Rancho's over the other mentioned options due to the adjustable struts. When new I had them set at 7 in the front and 4 in the rear, but anytime I towed I cranked them all up to 9(max). As time has gone on, they are 6yrs old now, and they have undoubtedly worn a bit I just leave them at 9. Though I have always preferred a stiffer ride my wife didn't. Now days

There's basically no lift in the front with the Rancho's and in the rear it's about 1-1.25".

Monroe owns Rancho now sadly, I won't buy another Monroe labeled product. Just had far too many poor quality struts and shocks. KYB have proven to be far superior every time I compared them. Rancho 9000 series are still my preference for trucks, they have never let me down and the difference is handling and ride over the adjustment range is really incredible.