Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEltonJ

Reaction score
My air bags on my '01 Expedition 2wd has finally developed an extremely slow air leak. The leak is so slow at this point that the bags could stay inflated overnight sometimes.
After 387,000 miles. I replaced the compressor/dryer myself in December and it stayed up until now (March). I'm seriously considering the Strutmaster Coil Spring with a pair of shocks for the rear. These are running $199 on the company website. Labor, so far, is wanting $250 to install them, and the check susp light can be deactivated per instructions from Strutmasters.

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 04 navigator with air suspension. I am starting to look into the conversion kits. I would like more ground clearance (and the air suspension is starting to have issues that need attention from rust and wear). With the air suspension, the vehicle sits way lower than the other 2 navigators (99 and 01) I have that already have been converted. I read one post that stated using the expedition kit vs the navigator kit for more height. Should I go that route or can I find a kit with a little bit of a lift? From a quick search (I’ve only begun to look into this), I see Monroe, strutmaster, cardone, arnott, dorman, suncore kits. Which would give me the most bang for the buck, and which should I shy away from? I don’t tow anything but prefer decent quality that will last while driving on salty roads! I don’t mind spending a little more for something that will last as I tend to keep my old navigators forever because they refuse to die!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I do mine I will be on ebay and probably get the ones with the adjustable two lock ring set up for preload.
They seem to have red, gold, black. maybe more colors.
I have read the same post a couple of times from a guy who was unhappy with strutmaster I think because it made his look like a big 4wd??? LOL
I think he had 20s or 22s on it. Se I guess he was unaware that the SUV was designed to be and look like a tall, high riding, ground clearance and clearance between tires and fenders...4X4.

Only like 225-240 for all four.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I just changed the air bags and pump on a Grand Marquis and it was a very simple job and only cost a couple of hundred dollars. If cost is your concern and you do your own work, you may be surprised at how cheap fixing it right will set you back.

Otherwise, I have no experience with the replacement shock/springs. I would stay away from anything Chinese from a chain parts store. Strutmaster claims their stuff is made in USA which is a definite plus.

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I do mine I will be on ebay and probably get the ones with the adjustable two lock ring set up for preload.
They seem to have red, gold, black. maybe more colors.
I have read the same post a couple of times from a guy who was unhappy with strutmaster I think because it made his look like a big 4wd??? LOL
I think he had 20s or 22s on it. Se I guess he was unaware that the SUV was designed to be and look like a tall, high riding, ground clearance and clearance between tires and fenders...4X4.

Only like 225-240 for all four.

Yes, I’m after more ground clearance for sure. Right now it looks like a big old car. If that is what the factory look is, I don’t want a kit that makes it factory! I will check out the ones on eBay you mentioned. Thank you!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I’m after more ground clearance for sure. Right now it looks like a big old car. If that is what the factory look is, I don’t want a kit that makes it factory! I will check out the ones on eBay you mentioned. Thank you!

Conversion will not increase rise height. You will also need to look into spacer left or talk with strutmasters and see if they can make it with additional lift...I know they can do drop setup so the may be able to raise it as well

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Conversion will not increase rise height. You will also need to look into spacer left or talk with strutmasters and see if they can make it with additional lift...I know they can do drop setup so the may be able to raise it as well

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thank you. I will look into that. I did notice they sell the kits with a lift. Maybe that us the route I will go. Or perhaps the air is just so worn out, it doesn’t fully inflate.

Does anyone have pics of an 04 navigator that is at the normal height??

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a few months ago I was into reading a bunch of air susp navigator posts. One guy posted the exact inches from the ground the lip of front fender is to be in 2wd mode and in 4wd.
I will post if I find it.

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a few months ago I was into reading a bunch of air susp navigator posts. One guy posted the exact inches from the ground the lip of front fender is to be in 2wd mode and in 4wd.
I will post if I find it.

I think I remember seeing that but don’t remember how I found it!!

Another question-I see strutmaster sells a kit with a module for the air suspension warning light. Others (such as suncore) don’t show a module but say it comes with instructions how to get rid of the warning light. So, is the module really necessary to get rid of the light? The module adds $300 to the kit so if can can avoid that, I surely will!!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you are luckier for an 01.
It's like the older town cars IIRC. I think you just have an air susp light on dash that is a bulb.
You can cut a wire at the module or if like the town cars just pull the connectors out if the module and it goes out.
The o3 -06 navi put an information center and self diagnostics in the cluster and I am not certain if you can actually get rid of it in all instances.
You have to fool it into thinking all is ok by the height sensors (3 of them) being at acceptable levels or unhooking them and zip tying them in stationary position.
On an 01 I think you could even pop dash out and pull bulb. My excursion instrument panel pops out easily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze