Airbag lifetime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rossdej

Reaction score
New Expedition owner here. Just got the 2012 EL about a month ago, and while I love many parts of it, it looks like the air suspension (rear only) is going to need to be replaced sooner than later. I'm hoping to delay doing the conversion to coil springs and was hoping to get some wisdom from those who have had air shocks longer than me.
It currently drops about an inch every couple of hours, equally on both sides. The compressor works well and it rides fine once aired up. I have soapy water'ed all the connections I could easily access (albeit I didn't take the wheels off), air bags and the back of the compressor and I didn't see any bubbles. I did see some apparent dry rot/cracking of the rubber on the air bags themselves.
Is this evidence that I will need to replace or convert soon, or do they usually have this appearance after a few years and not leak? I'm also wondering how long the compressor will last with the added work of replacing the leaked out air.
Thanks for your help!
IMG_3154.jpg