Airing down tires on 22" wheels for off-roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
We're taking a family trip to Utah in a few weeks and I'm hoping to hit up a couple mild trails with the Expy. I also have a Jeep that I've done a bit of off-roading in as well and will typically air down to around 12-14 psi. Obviously the Expy with it's 22s shouldn't be aired down nearly as much, and I'm not planning on any crazy rock climbing or anything, but there will likely be some steep ascents and bumps, so just looking for a little extra traction and comfort for the family. Does anyone have experience off-roading with the stock 22s/Hankook tires and airing down? I was thinking maybe 25-30 psi as a starting point... Obviously I don't want to risk damaging the wheels and tires or popping a bead.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the Rover guys on big wheels typically don’t air down then again most of them are packed full of stuff which case they sink either way but at least they don’t pinch a tire lol.

I have thought about this my self I have stock 22’s. The stock tires are junk regarding durability they are soft squishy comfort tires, so from that aspect I wont air them down. If I had more durable 22 tires then yes maybe 5-8lbs but likely only if I’m running light if your heavy probably 5lbs max

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am I understanding this correctly? You're going to off-road with the stock, low-profile tires and you want to air down?

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
Am I understanding this correctly? You're going to off-road with the stock, low-profile tires and you want to air down?
Good point. I'm definitely planning on keeping it to easy trails. I'm just coming from the Jeep world where airing down is pretty much a given when going off road.

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d run 32 psi to 34 psi (cold) and call it a day. They won’t perform on much of anything no matter what you do, and you’ll run the risks you’ve already considered. Just nudge them down to smooth it out a bit, give slightly more grip and hopefully avoid any punctures. Your primary mission is going to be avoiding rim and tire damage, which means dirt roads while taking it easy.

Jeka

Reaction score
I’ve done some unmaintained roads/light trails driving. It’s not pleasant at all. Did not air down. OEM Hankooks **** in any road condition.
Just remember - one hand on the steering wheel, second hand hold your sunroof from falling down on you :)

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just don't see where a little traction advantage is worth ruining a tire/wheel on your trip? The benefits are minimal and the possible problems could ruin your trip if you couldn't find replacements immediately. Its not worth the trouble. Just let them at 39 and call it a day.......

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. I would just leave them as is. I would only attempt airing down a LITTLE if you were in deep sand and stuck.
Having just spent a few weeks out on trails and primitive roads, I’ll just say I was very thankful for my 10 ply Nitto’s. Even the sandy trails have rocks waiting to jump out and ruin your day.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fact that it "low profile" will make it less likely to pop the bead due to less leverage when on MILD terrain. IDK what your door pressure says, but any tire on mild/moderate terrain should have no problems -10 pounds. How many times have you looked at a low profile tire 10+ pounds low in air and can't even tell? You will get no "ballooning" and more not geting the !#$$ knocked out of you with ever bump and undulation. YMMV and it may be possible that there is a sweet PSI comfort spot with those things. If you are really concerned make sure your spare is aired and you know how to get at it and have some means of stabilizing your jack.