Airing down tires on 22" wheels for off-roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep them at full pressure. Even the paved roads have razor sharp small rocks that will slice a 10 ply tire if hit them right. Also if you have the CCD’s. Try SPORT mode out. I find it wheels the best with the firmer suspension setting. Like mentioned above check your spare and have a way to change it. Grab an inflator and plug kit. It’s kinda like having a winch. You only need it when you don’t have it.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He will be fine -10/-15 psi if he is slow rolling on dirt. And I mean less than 10mph.
If he is bombing around like he has RAPTOR spray painted on his side, has 2,000 pounds in the truck, etc. different story.
Looking forward to the AAR and pics.

rick619

Reaction score
I would worry less about the tires and more about scratching up your wheels and paint from small rock chips.

Agree that you can't air those low profile tires much. Maybe drop 3-5 psi and stick with the fire roads. Definitely better off in your Jeep.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The TFL Truck guys go offroading in their new LR Defender with 20" wheels.

I watched the other day. They almost rolled the Defender :eek:

Off topic, but their Jeep 4xe video was pretty cool too. I can't fathom why people take expensive vehicles off-roading. Seems like it would be more sensible to get a beater and build it up.

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might want to look at the TFL YouTube review of the Wrangler, Bronco and Land Rover. They were on a moderate trail and the LR was on 20 or 22” rims. It punctured 2 tires and they had to load the flats in the Bronco and get new tires to retrieve the LR. Low profile tires and off road don’t really mix well.

ETA - I guess I should have read the whole thread prior to posting.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have ran down forest service roads a ton and I never air down and I’ve never had any issues. However? I have had both my front wheel bearings replaced following a spirited trek down said roads… thankfully they were done under warranty.
My vote is don’t air down.