Alignment and dealer(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '17 is showing abnormal tire wear, outer shoulder LH front wearing rapidly. So just for grins I went to a dealer and asked how much for alignment service, Oh, about 150 I was told (most places around here get 100+tax for a 4 wheel alignment). OK, I thought, too much. I told the guy it didn't have camber bolts. Oh, that'll be an extra 300 to install bolts.
I'm sure that would have come to their attention after it was on the rack and bolts loosened. %&@$ crooks!

Gonna put camber bolts in my own self and take it to the guy down the street. A decent set of 4 camber bolts and brackets is about a hundred bucks.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took mine to Firestone for a 4-wheel lifetime alignment during 1 of their promos several years ago ($200 or so). I waited for a few hours and when the manager (also turned out to be the owner of the franchise) told me I was ready to go I paid the bill. After I paid the bill, he pulls out a printout and says: "By the way, we only did a 2-wheel alignment because you have factory shims. For another $250 we can remove the shims and do the other 2 wheels." Uh, no. I paid you for a 4-wheel alignment. The time to tell me you couldn't do it for that price was before you started the job, not after I waited 3 hours and paid in full. He essentially told me to stuff it when I argued, so I filed a credit card dispute. I provided proof that I paid for a 4-wheel alignment and only received a 2-wheel alignment. Bank found in my favor very quickly and he got zero.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How'd those tires wear after that? I hope he didn't get the last laugh. Franchise shops around here are completely incapable of doing anything right except collecting your money.

The vehicle pulled to the right for a bit tbh, but I was driving on a lot of crappy roads at the time so it eventually self-aligned. :p I can't really answer the tire question accurately. Two of them wore pretty evenly and got me over 60k. The other two I blew out on national park lands and their 1990s-Sarajevo-like roads.

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alignments are hit or miss just about everywhere I've been. Either very few techs know how to perform a proper 4-wheel alignment or most just don't put much effort into it. I once purchased a Sears Automotive lifetime alignment and revisited to the same location numerous times for adjustments before finding a location in another borough with a knowledgeable tech who listened to my concerns got it right on his first attempt.

Since Firestone was mentioned I'll just add that my only experience with them was through my brother. I changed his brakes and rotors a month before he took his vehicle to the only location in town for an alignment, thinking it would be better than a random garage. He called me at work to say the mechanic was changing his brakes and rotors because they were unsafe and badly worn, at the cost of $500+. I flew down there in record time to speak with these people, who had allegedly completed the job. I won't bother with the details but the result was payment for an alignment and nothing more after they failed to produce the parts they allegedly removed.

Rant over. This was several years ago and I still get tense thinking about it.

OP
OP
plumcolr

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are a couple of usually good shops around here, none of them franchise.
I say usually because auto mechanics (non-dealer) sort of float in and out, sorta like Cher singing "Gypsies, tramps and thieves". It's up to the proprietor.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I rarely take anything to a shop (unless I have to) but they always try to rip me off and I always end up with an argument or a near fight. They always assume that I know nothing which is why I brought it there but it's really for other reasons like no room or time etc.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never been able to get my EL properly aligned by anyone. Front tread wears on outsides slightly faster.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve never been able to get my EL properly aligned by anyone. Front tread wears on outsides slightly faster.
Are you running the factory lower control arm bolts? I'm in the process of rebuilding my truck and was surprised to see the front LCAs didn't have concentrics. Due to rust I had to cut off the arms and factory bolts anyway so I replaced with an alignment kit. Curious to see how it aligns once everything is back together.

With that kit a shop should be able to push the LCAs out a bit to address the outside tire wear.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01