All Fixed, hoping to recoup expenses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just called, my local dealer wants $980 for 8 spark plugs and 8 coil packs. (Atlanta) I called another dealer asking how much to fix one that blew out. They said they use heli-coils and I'm looking at $650 if there is nothing is stuck or fell into ___. The person on the phone said she spoke to two techs, one didn't want to do it and the other said he would try. Wow, whata mess Ford!

Where in ATL are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off, you don't need to change all 8 coils. If that's a dealership they know that. Unless your engine got soaked and all eight shorted out, very unlikely, just the ones throwing a misfire code get changed. The wire boot that goes from coil to plug ain't a bad idea, and of course the plugs. A nut sert is a stronger thread insert than a Heli coil insert. Sounds like you might want to shop for another shop.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
As usual, Moose is on target. You don't need eight coils. You may need one. The stripped head is easily fixed. Ford recommends a "Time-Sert" kit to fix it and every Ford dealer has the kit. The repair, when done properly works perfectly.

http://www.timesert.com/html/triton_repair.html

By looking for "mobile mechanics," "guys working on the side in their driveways," and other shady bargains you are looking for problems. Most of these guys don't know what a torque wrench is or how to use one to properly install these plugs. They're certain to dick up the thread insert and further goober the stripped head.

Bite the bullet, bring the thing to Ford and get the job done correctly and guaranteed for a year. The truck's nearly 24 years old. If you want it to continue running reliably, you'll have to open the bank and have the work done correctly.

OP
OP
nycnftm

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I now believe it would be more cost effictive to junk it. Lol I need it to haul merchandise about twice a month. last month when it was in the shop I rented a brand new van with 200 miles on it for $75 including gas for the day. $75 a day rental takes a long time to add up to 2500 I just spent on it

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not only that but if your business is legit, it comes off your taxes as a business expense along with the fuel. You might consider donating it to one of the many great causes. Here in California we get a $1000.00 check from the buy back program, or up to $4000.00 deduction from taxes if donated.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk