Alternator Not Charging Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake Oleszak

Reaction score
Hello all. I need some help with my 2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition 5.4L 3v 4x4.

I recently had the "Check Charging System" message and battery light turn on. Over the next few hours the volt gauge slowly dropped down. I figured the alternator was bad because the same message and battery light would come on at a stop and go off when I started moving for a few days prior. I replaced the alternator, started the car, but the battery then died while the car was still running.

The battery is a month old (purchased brand new). I'm thinking the cable that runs from the battery to the alternator is shot. I removed the electrical tape near the fusible link and noticed a lot of broken/corroded/rusted wires crimped into the eyelet connected to the battery. The wires that are still crimped in wiggle around a lot. I'm fairly certain this is causing a bad connection and not allowing the alternator to charge the battery. See pictures below.

I wanted to replace the full cable, but the actual part is on a national backorder and not available in the US through Ford. The part number they gave me is 5L1Z14305BA. I've only found one place online selling it (https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-wiring-asy-alternator-5l1z14305ba) and its not even available. Ebay hasn't given me any results either. I've checked local salvage yards but all the ones near me cut cables upon receiving vehicles into their lots. Auto parts stores don't sell these cables either.

I'm at a loss on what I should do here. I need my truck to get to work and my wife needs her car to take our kids to school. What can I do to fix this?? There is not much excess wire on the cable to cut back to expose fresh wire, nor is the cable long enough to reach if I cut it back.

Any constructive advice on how to fix this/what I should look into is appreciated.

Thank you.

IMG_7166.jpg IMG_7167.jpg IMG_7168.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jake Oleszak

Reaction score
I have to do some more digging to find an automotive electrical specialty shop near me. I started looking but didn’t see much of anything on my initial look but I’ll deep digging. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most auto repair shops can make and install a new cable, if you can't find a local auto electric shop.

A few phone calls may help including AutoZone, etc.

You don't need an exact replacement. The only dimension required is one that reaches both terminals. If it is longer, no problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jake Oleszak

Reaction score
I found a few local shops that will build one. It’ll run me about $200. I should probably test this cable to ensure this is the culprit before dropping that much. Though it probably should be replaced anyway just due to the physical state of the wires themselves.

If I go this route I’ll probably ask them to test the cable before making the new one.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can make your own cable(s) depending on your skills from pre-made battery cables at the auto parts stores.

OP
OP
J

Jake Oleszak

Reaction score
I called a local auto custom shop and they found the cable for me brand new. I don’t know how, but the description he gave me sounded right. Maybe the dealership gave me the wrong information?

I’ll have the part by Monday and keep everyone posted. I’m skeptical but will remain hopeful!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have real doubts about a new cable fixing it.
It doesn't take much to charge the battery. Takes a lot more to start the car.
If the connection is bad it will get warm to quite hot with car running- at the terminal crimp part.
The high resistance or on/off loose connection could damage alternator so it could be chicken vs egg but I bet you have a alt issue now.

Charge the battery and get a new/better piece of cable and end in there then take to parts store and let them test alt with meter on the car to see how many amps it is putting out.
Then you can think about bench testing it, but you will know more at that point.