Anderson Weight Dist users

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who's got an Anderson WDH? I'm curious about feedback on how this type of WDH can distribute the weight back to the truck without bars? I currently have an Equalizer 10,000 set up and it works great, but the idea of ditching 50lbs hitch weight in favor of the Anderson is very appealing. If it can do the job just as good it would save me 50lbs on tongue weight and save my back on moving that hitch head around of the Equalizer.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have an Anderson, but I read up on it when researching hitches. It uses the chains to lift the rear of the truck by pivoting the chain's hitch side on the triangle plate. It's not "distributing weight back to the truck." It's lifting the rear to return weight to the front axle. It also has some element in the head to increase friction for additional anti-sway. Some people choose them over the bars because they hate the snap, crackle, pop noises that the bars make. I use a Centerline w/ bars so yes, the bars are very noisy when turning at low speeds. I'm sure there is some sort of guarantee with the Anderson. Try it out and see if it works. I've never seen anyone with a scale ticket complain that their WDH isn't working. Usually people complain, but don't have a scale ticket showing that their weights are adjusted correctly.

map76

Reaction score
I have been interested in the Anderson WDH for awhile. I bought an Equalizer when I bought my TT but I wish I would have bought the Anderson. I would like to hear how well it works from someone who uses it and has it set up correctly.

PapaBear

Reaction score
I have one pulling a 6800 to 7000 pound loaded 28 foot travel trailer with a 2022 expedition max filled with our family of 7. Given that we use so much payload for people, I also wanted the weight savings the Anderson provides. It is easy to setup, levels my rig, and gets all of the numbers within spec on the scale. So it does the job well, though I have no bar-based setup to compare to.

Big_O

Reaction score
I’ve been towing our 4000 lbs TT with an Andersen and pretty happy. I don’t really have a frame of reference with other WDH, but it tows great and can’t really feel any sway. I do disable the sway control on the Expy towing screen.

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No experience with the Andersen but considered switching to it. Used the Husky Centerline TS for about 5 years with a lighter travel trailer. Then replaced the spring bars and used that WDH for about a year with the a new trailer.

Decided to go with the Blue Ox SwayPro instead. It is quiet, returns to center after turns, transfers weight better, and slightly lighter.

Joey Smith

Reaction score
I have been using the Andersen on my 2019 Expy XLT Max 4x4 with HD Tow with ~5600Lb travel trailer.

I have posted my tuning efforts with CAT scale data here:
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/tuning-andersen-wdh-2019-expy-max-xlt.44539/

It has towed well over the past few years now. I have not observed sway so far.

The only downside is that it has seemed limited in terms of shifting weight to the front. However, given the 50% FALR mentioned in the Expy manual, it seems I should not be shifting more anyways.

My main problem now is we always want to bring more ‘stuff’ camping with us but given we need to keep the numbers safe, payload (actually it is the rear axle weight rating-RAWR) that I am limited by. Now I have an order for a truck with higher payload and RAWR.

AdamNeedsInfo

Reaction score
I have one pulling a 6800 to 7000 pound loaded 28 foot travel trailer with a 2022 expedition max filled with our family of 7. Given that we use so much payload for people, I also wanted the weight savings the Anderson provides. It is easy to setup, levels my rig, and gets all of the numbers within spec on the scale. So it does the job well, though I have no bar-based setup to compare to.
How's your sway? We have the Andersen on our 6500 loaded TT and experienced significant sway on our first trip. Had to keep it under 55. I've moved some cargo around and has improved, but still a bit of sway. Enough that my wife wants an entirely different WDH before our next trip.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How's your sway? We have the Andersen on our 6500 loaded TT and experienced significant sway on our first trip. Had to keep it under 55. I've moved some cargo around and has improved, but still a bit of sway. Enough that my wife wants an entirely different WDH before our next trip.
Usually excessive sway means that you don't have enough of the trailer weight on your tongue. If you have a buffer in your payload, you can move things in the front of the camper to increase tongue weight. If your sway is reduced, then you know that was likely the issue. Airing the tires fully helps, but doesn't address the root cause. Visiting the scale helps, as it is difficult to know your camper's loaded weight otherwise.