Anderson Weight Dist users

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PapaBear

Reaction score
How's your sway? We have the Andersen on our 6500 loaded TT and experienced significant sway on our first trip. Had to keep it under 55. I've moved some cargo around and has improved, but still a bit of sway. Enough that my wife wants an entirely different WDH before our next trip.
Good info from Jason above. To answer your question, I’ve in the past experienced only the most minimal of sway with very strong wind gusts or being passed by semis. It was tolerable and I was always comfortable going 70 or so.
We are now just completing a 2-week trip to various national parks, and prior to leaving, I installed hellwig anti-sway bars front and rear as well as sumo springs on the rear. I would say on this trip, I’ve experienced essentially no sway at all. I’ve cruised at 80 a few times given the high speed limits in Wyoming and Montana. No sway and comfortable towing. I forget it’s back there other than on hills or when watching the gas mileage. For extra info, I’ve averaged about 7 mpg for the trip with mixed highway cruising, 65-80. My travel trailer has wide-spaced tandem axles, which may help my stability some. If you haven’t been to the CAT scale, I’d highly suggest it as Jason mentioned above, as your tongue weight may be close to or under 10% of your trailer weight.

At the CAT scale, all my numbers are easily in spec, other than my max rear axle weight, which is usually right at the max.

PapaBear

Reaction score
Good info from Jason above. To answer your question, I’ve in the past experienced only the most minimal of sway with very strong wind gusts or being passed by semis. It was tolerable and I was always comfortable going 70 or so.
We are now just completing a 2-week trip to various national parks, and prior to leaving, I installed hellwig anti-sway bars front and rear as well as sumo springs on the rear. I would say on this trip, I’ve experienced essentially no sway at all. I’ve cruised at 80 a few times given the high speed limits in Wyoming and Montana. No sway and comfortable towing. I forget it’s back there other than on hills or when watching the gas mileage. For extra info, I’ve averaged about 7 mpg for the trip with mixed highway cruising, 65-80. My travel trailer has wide-spaced tandem axles, which may help my stability some. If you haven’t been to the CAT scale, I’d highly suggest it as Jason mentioned above, as your tongue weight may be close to or under 10% of your trailer weight.

At the CAT scale, all my numbers are easily in spec, other than my max rear axle weight, which is usually right at the max.
I want to add to my post above. Before I ever towed a trailer, I switched my Expedition Max to load range E tires. I air up the rears to 45 psi, as using the tire pressure chart for my tires, this gives me the full weight loading capacity of my rear axle rating. I also switched out my TT tires for Goodyear Endurance and run them at the max of 65 psi. So I have several mods, but my towing experience is sublime.

Truthfully, the only problem I’ve had is coming down Teton pass into Jackson, I was engine braking by locking out down to second gear. This would keep me at 35 or so. However, a FedEx truck in front of me was going only 25. I found myself on the brakes way more than I’d like, and on a whim, I decided to pull over after awhile. Sure enough, I could barely stop, and my pads started smoking. I waited 15 minutes to cool and returned to the road with pure engine braking and no further problems.

jhkaplan

Reaction score
I want to add to my post above. Before I ever towed a trailer, I switched my Expedition Max to load range E tires. I air up the rears to 45 psi, as using the tire pressure chart for my tires, this gives me the full weight loading capacity of my rear axle rating. I also switched out my TT tires for Goodyear Endurance and run them at the max of 65 psi. So I have several mods, but my towing experience is sublime.

Truthfully, the only problem I’ve had is coming down Teton pass into Jackson, I was engine braking by locking out down to second gear. This would keep me at 35 or so. However, a FedEx truck in front of me was going only 25. I found myself on the brakes way more than I’d like, and on a whim, I decided to pull over after awhile. Sure enough, I could barely stop, and my pads started smoking. I waited 15 minutes to cool and returned to the road with pure engine braking and no further problems.
Bumping up an old post, but wondering what Hellwig and SumoSprings models you're using. Went to both of their sites but Expedition doesnt seem like one of the models that they support.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bumping up an old post, but wondering what Hellwig and SumoSprings models you're using. Went to both of their sites but Expedition doesnt seem like one of the models that they support.
I got my Hellwigs from Summit...

For the SumoSprings, there are too many variables I think with regards to gaps in the springs. So I believe on the Sumo site there is instuctions to measure the gap between your rear coils and using that measurement is how you determine which version of product to buy.

lriddlejr

Reaction score
Who's got an Anderson WDH? I'm curious about feedback on how this type of WDH can distribute the weight back to the truck without bars? I currently have an Equalizer 10,000 set up and it works great, but the idea of ditching 50lbs hitch weight in favor of the Anderson is very appealing. If it can do the job just as good it would save me 50lbs on tongue weight and save my back on moving that hitch head around of the Equalizer.
HI, I've been using an Anderson since 2018. My father-in-law purchased a 25' Airstream & Yukon XL that came with one, and after driving it I purchased one for my Tahoe & 27' Outback toy hauler (7,400 lbs). I've since used it on my Navigator, Exp Max, and Excursion Diesel. I'm extremely pleased w/the Anderson - much lighter than bar setups, does the job well, and you can back the rig w/o disconnecting. The pivot plate is really nice. I've previous experience w/a variety of bar WD hitches, and I prefer the Anderson. So far no issues. The anti-sway is inherent via the nylon insert in ball mount, so that's a wear item that should be monitored and replaced as needed. Good luck w/your choice

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes