Annoying Creaking!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livealive88

Reaction score
Hello all! A few weeks ago, I purchased a 19' Expedition Max Limited with 25k miles. I LOVE this vehicles it's so nice... BUT.....

Open the door, place your hand on the door interior door handle and apply some pressure.... CREAK....
Sit down turn on truck, seat adjusts and relax my knee to the door, CREAK...
Put my arm on the center console lid, CREAK....

DRIVING ME NUTS. Dealership says they would have to diagnose, and could be about 2 weeks to fix anything.

I love my new bus, but I want it to be squeak free if possible and don't mind getting dirty to do it. Any Suggestions?

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same exact noise. To fix it, you would have to pull the door panel off and unscrew about 20x 5.5mm screws from the rear of it that hold the armrest onto the door panel then apply a felt tape between the armrest and door panel. This is what I used below,

Tesa 51608, 25m x 19mm adhesive... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPDVER2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

EngineerBoy

Reaction score
For anyone with this same issue I found a relatively quick, easy fix. I recently got a 2021 Expedition Max Limited which I love, but my knee resting on the driver's side door and armrest squeaked and creaked like a banshee.

I noticed that if I shoved an (expired) credit card in between the armrest and the door trim the squeaking would stop. So, I ordered some 1/16 inch thick, 1 inch wide black neoprene from Amazon, cut about a 4 inch long piece, cut that in half length-wise so it was 1/2 inch wide, and used a plastic trim tool to shove it down in the area of the squeak.

That area is on top of the driver's door armrest, just in front of the grab/handle well. Here's how it looks with the neoprene in place (circled in red):

squeak-location.jpg

Here's what I used:

squeak-tools.jpg

Specifically I used the following:

A 1/16" by 1" by 10' roll of black neoprene found here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BNVG4Q8H

I cut four inches from the roll, then cut that strip in half lengthwise resulting in the trip in the image.

I then used a small car trim tool to work the neoprene down between the armrest and the door, I got the trim tool from this set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V22YC9J

It's not as pretty as what could be accomplished by removing the door panel and making changes behind the scenes, but it took about 10 minutes total and given my handle and door are black I barely notice that it's there. But man, oh man, am I happy to not have to hear the incessant squeaking!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360