Annoying Horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything in the OM about deactivating the two horn beep when locking doors with the fob. I know if you push the door lock button once it does not sound, but if you push it twice it does. My Dodge truck has an option to silence the horn - anyone know if this can be done on the 2018's?

Also, with car running and in park, when I open and close either of the passenger doors, the horn beeps twice (fob in my pocket). I was cycling the power door step in/out after lubricating it and wanted full electrical power.

I've always disliked these damn horn sounds around parking lots. Hopefully there is a way to defeat this annoying (and useless IMO) feature.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, I agree very annoying. I'd like to deactivate at leas the open and close your door feature. Who thought up this garbage? Are people really so stupid they leave their car running ? Oh wait,there is caliCalifornia and New York.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as locking the doors without the horn, you are stuck with just pushing the lock button once. The horn beeping twice when the fob moves out of range can be turned off using ForScan or having the dealer do it($$$). There is also an option to change the panic button on the key fob to require two presses of the panic button to set off the panic alarm. This also requires ForScan or a trip to the dealer.

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well hell. Looks like it's something to ask FordHouse when in for other service - maybe they'll do it for nuttin.

Are people really so stupid they leave their car running ?

So you back out of the garage and it's raining/snowing, then remember you forgot your coffee thermos, jump out to fetch and close your door, and the horn sounds twice - waking up the village - brilliant! :rolleyes:

Yea, I agree, some of this stuff moves from the handy to PITA feature. I'd be hard pressed to believe it was the result of a Ford "tell what you'd like" user survey. I guess the wizard who thought this up hopes we don't figure out to just leave the door ajar.

So it's a warning that the engine is still on? I'm presuming it does not do this with someone in the driver seat? (my example was with no one inside and me opening/closing the passenger doors).

Concerning ForScan, I'm just starting to read up a little about it and see that a good many are doing their own changes. I'll go hunting around our forum to see what the dope is on this but, in a nutshell, is it something worth having, and perhaps more importantly not something to be messing with if you don't have experience?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I asked my dealer to turn it off and they said they couldn't do it.

Couldn't and wouldn't are two different things. If I can turn it off with Forscan, certainly the dealer can as well. They're just giving you a line.

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldn't and wouldn't are two different things. If I can turn it off with Forscan, certainly the dealer can as well. They're just giving you a line.

Hmm. I wonder if that is a liability issue and Ford has instructed dealerships not to make many of these changes?

I often manually defeat the interlock on my Dodge CTD, not allowing driving lights and hi-beams to be on together, by holding the turn signal lever part way back. In my area, long stretches of pitch blackness and dumb#$$ Cervidae are real. The "Bambi" adjustment sounds like a nice one.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just don't push the button twice. Once silently locks it. Twice and it beeps to confirm. Really, why is this a big deal? Unless it's different in my '19. I just checked and it doesn't beep when a passenger door is opened as yours does.

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just don't push the button twice. Once silently locks it. Twice and it beeps to confirm. Really, why is this a big deal? Unless it's different in my '19. I just checked and it doesn't beep when a passenger door is opened as yours does.

Hi Wayne. Roger on the 1 push for door lock - that's not a big deal. So your 2019 does not sound the horn when opening/closing the passenger doors under the following conditions?

- engine running and in park
- driver door closed (seat unoccupied)
- FOB in your pocket

Mine sounded every time I opened and closed the door while cycling the power door steps. Maybe someone has been playing with FORScan before I got it :).