Annual Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the synthetic but not taking to a dealer for anything and not using an analysis. Why pay to see a bunch of unknown chemicals on a list when you could just spend that money on 7 quarts of oil instead of on the printout and not wonder what the analysis is not showing. I hate to make the analysis fans feel dumb but I don't get it. After working on cars for decades I really don't get it. Also the makers of synthetic have been slowly backpedaling on the time between changes over the years, maybe they finally figured out all oil gets contaminated and breaks down.

The UOA can reveal many potential issues, such as excessive wear, dirt, fuel contamination, coolant contamination, oil dilution, etc. Changing oil regularly doesn't guarantee you'll never have issues with any of these other areas. Look at the timing chain/tensioners issues on the Ecoboost...some users go by the OLM and have no issues, others have issues no matter how regular the service. If you can spend $40 to avoid a $4,000 repair bill, seems like cheap insurance to me. It's a classic case of skipping over dollars to pick up pennies. I don't do it on my Altima, because it's naturally aspirated and I'm confident the engine will have no issues with routine oil changes. I don't have the same confidence in the Ecoboost, and I tow with it, so it's cheap insight into the condition of my engine.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The UOA can reveal many potential issues, such as excessive wear, dirt, fuel contamination, coolant contamination, oil dilution, etc. Changing oil regularly doesn't guarantee you'll never have issues with any of these other areas. Look at the timing chain/tensioners issues on the Ecoboost...some users go by the OLM and have no issues, others have issues no matter how regular the service. If you can spend $40 to avoid a $4,000 repair bill, seems like cheap insurance to me. It's a classic case of skipping over dollars to pick up pennies. I don't do it on my Altima, because it's naturally aspirated and I'm confident the engine will have no issues with routine oil changes. I don't have the same confidence in the Ecoboost, and I tow with it, so it's cheap insight into the condition of my engine.
Sorry, not buying it. All you need to do on any engine is to change the oil at certain intervals and hopefully not too long. Even if you blew money on an "analysis" one time it should give you a picture of what to expect in future changes. ...........just change the dam stuff on time.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, not buying it. All you need to do on any engine is to change the oil at certain intervals and hopefully not too long. Even if you blew money on an "analysis" one time it should give you a picture of what to expect in future changes. ...........just change the dam stuff on time.

You're presuming that there aren't any failures unrelated to the oil change interval. What if a gasket fails, or I change commute due to Covid and start short tripping more frequently, or I try out a reusable filter and am unsure of it's filtration capability, or I switch to E85 and want to know if I need to change my service interval...there's any number of scenarios. I wouldn't necessarily get one for every oil change, but the peace of mind is worthwhile at a moderate interval.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're presuming that there aren't any failures unrelated to the oil change interval. What if a gasket fails, or I change commute due to Covid and start short tripping more frequently, or I try out a reusable filter and am unsure of it's filtration capability, or I switch to E85 and want to know if I need to change my service interval...there's any number of scenarios. I wouldn't necessarily get one for every oil change, but the peace of mind is worthwhile at a moderate interval.
I think you are overthinking it and I suspect some O C D tendencies. :emotions33:

Last edited:

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had my oil changed for the year 2 weeks ago as well. The truck sits around except for the short trips to get kids to daycare. It is almost like a treat when I get to drive it more than 5 miles a day.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every 3K miles for me regardless of time. Oil & filters are cheap compared to internal engine components and turbos.