Another 5.4L tapping noise thread (sorry)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think that anyone has mentioned the common exhaust manifold leak on the passenger side. It would make a ticking noise upon startup that often goes away or gets much quieter as the engine warms up and the gasket/leak seals itself temporarily. I had a pretty significant ticking noise and I replace my manifolds 2 months ago. My passenger side exhaust manifold had a 3-inch u-shaped crack all around the hole for cylinder 4. New headers with a good gasket fixed the sound and my fuel trim levels for that side now match my drivers side fuel trims.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like you've got a bad roller follower to me. I personally would not ignore it, if it spits out the follower you could drop a valve and that would mean new engine time.
Unless the roller sticks just right its not gonna hold the valve down. Normally if the roller come out it would just keep the valve from dropping at all. The valve will stay up because of its spring.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought my tick was a phaser. While a phaser spring was broken, the tick is still there so I'm sure it's a roller on the rocker/follower. The phasers and chains did at least fix my massive power drops while accelerating. Phasers and chains cost me $1700 but he was slow and had it for just over 2 months. Good price but I won't take it there for the roller.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have to go back to the original post, after an oil change. If there was no noise before this and the truck just sat for two weeks, would have thought you would of heard some noise before the oil change if a problem was starting. Would not be the first time a problem was created by improper oil change. Did you check the oil level after you had it changed?

ssmock

Reaction score
I don’t think that anyone has mentioned the common exhaust manifold leak on the passenger side. It would make a ticking noise upon startup that often goes away or gets much quieter as the engine warms up and the gasket/leak seals itself temporarily. I had a pretty significant ticking noise and I replace my manifolds 2 months ago. My passenger side exhaust manifold had a 3-inch u-shaped crack all around the hole for cylinder 4. New headers with a good gasket fixed the sound and my fuel trim levels for that side now match my drivers side fuel trims.
I was reading this thread and was going to comment on the exhaust leak. My Expy is 2014 Limited with HD Towing pkg. Had the left bank manifold crack and I thought it was a lifter. Luckily it was still under my extended warranty. Broke the manifold towing a car trailer across the mountains and put too much stress on it at 90K miles. Now have 124K miles on it and getting the same ticking noise out of the right bank. Notice it on startup but goes away in a few seconds. Out of warranty now so don't know if I want to go to the expense of fixing it. The dealer had three bolts break, said if I was paying it would had cost $1,500 or so because of the labor. Not too bad yet and I don't think it's hurting anything. Love the truck but thinking of going to a nice used F250 if the price ever goes down enough to be able to afford it. Pricing is way out of sight right now. Can't believe what the dealers are asking for a truck with 60 to 110 K miles. I would check for the cracked manifold and it does sound like a lifter ticking.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same deal, either getting a new Expedition or a Suburban when this nonsense settles out. I’m tired of rust and repairs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steeltoe

steeltoe

Reaction score
Have to go back to the original post, after an oil change. If there was no noise before this and the truck just sat for two weeks, would have thought you would of heard some noise before the oil change if a problem was starting. Would not be the first time a problem was created by improper oil change. Did you check the oil level after you had it changed?
No noise before the oil change and definitely no issues with power loss or fuel efficiency. Passing on country roads was a breeze before and I'm afraid to even try it now.
Oil change was at 110k, noise started at 112,500 and I'm at about 114k now. My mechanic did an extra oil change for free a little while after the noise started but that didn't fix anything. Oil pressure and levels were good are good, but I didn't check what kind of oil or filter they used for that 110k change.