Another ATF dipstick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

Reaction score
2021 Limited with 10-speed transmission:
I just did my break-in oil change & Fumoto oil valve-plug install. It's our first Expedition, so I'm using the opportunity to get acquainted while I'm down there. Located the ATF dipstick as anticipated.

Can someone tell me what would happen if I pulled the ATF dipstick with the engine off and cold? Is it like on some other vehicles whereby with the engine off, the ATF level rises above the check port?

Most posts focus on checking the level of the fluid, but I just want to know if I can occasionally check the color/smell of the ATF without burning myself or spewing ATF all over.

Cheers.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On level ground, you can add you own "cold" level mark on the dipstick if you like. The "cold" level will be higher than the hot level due to ATF settling in the pan, although hot fluid may expand more, IDK with this ULV ATF. You could then use this mark as a cold reference, but if you have not ATF leaks, it would always be the same level.
You are correct, for an accurate level check, tranny must be hot, engine running.
The coolant to ATF cooler/heat exchanger is mounted almost level, so not much if any drain back there.

kryichek

Reaction score
Also have a 2021. What should the reading be? I've read between 5 and 6 and I've also read believe 3 to 5.