Another DashCam Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Peterson

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition Max and looking for a fuse number people used to hardwire their dash cam. I have seen different things in the forum. Will try various ones manually if I need to.

Also, I would like some opinions. I have the large sunroof in my truck and I want to run the rear camera across the headliner to the camera. I can definitely get it from the door, through the conduit into the headliner, but its getting it down the full length. I was thinking a wire snake, but afraid the wire will rattle. Has anyone done this? Not sure I trust myself taking a headliner down.

utmeep

Reaction score
I used 36 for heating steering wheel to power by dash cam and radar detector.

Sandy Cade

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I just installed the VANTRUE N4 in my 18 Max Plat. I ran the cable for the rear camera along the head liner the length of the driver side of the vehicle. I didn't have to remove anything. Starting from the front window, I just tucked the cable under the head liner just in front of the windshield, and across to the driver side A pillow. There I tucked the cable between the A pillow and the head liner, on around the left side of the truck to the B, C and D pillars, repeating the same step of tucking the cable in between the pillars and the headliner. When I got to the liftgate, I had to pop the trim off IOT run the cable up through an existing cable run that has a weatherproof rubber conduit, and out to the window. Once I centered the rear camera onto the widow, I used 4" zip ties and stick back anchors to dress the cable in, in such a manner as to allow for the glass hatch to open. When I initially hooked it all up, I forgot that the glass can be opened sepeately from the liftgate. Luckily I hadn't secured the cable down yet and opwning the glass just pulled about 10 inches of cable out of the weatherproofed cable run. All in all, it turned out to be quite easy, even popping off and reinstalling the upper trim.

As for powering the dashcam, I initially was using the console 12vdc outlet but finally got around to getting the Add a Fuse adapter kit. I ran that cable under the headliner, under the overhead console cover, across the passenger side of the headliner, into the passenger side A pillow, down to the passenger fuse box. There I added the Add A Fuse to fuse #3 (Driver Door Unlock) but that didn't work because whenever the ASS kicks on/off, the dashcam does a power cycle. I then went to fuse #36 (Image Processing Module A/Automated Park Assist Module/ Continuous Control Damping Module) 2018 Exped Plat Max)) but I'm still having the same problem with the dashcam power cycling with ASS activation/deactivation. So now I will move to fuse #37 (Heated Steering Wheel)2018 Exped Plat Max)). Hope third time's a charm! I'll post results. Even though this post reply to the original post is quite old in comparison to the original post, if there are others new to this Ford forum like I am, and would like to see pictures of my finished product, let me know and I'll post some photos.