Another retrofit started. RX350!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I'll update this thread as I make progress and not really going to be a write up but pictures may help someone else looking to do the same.

Parts used:
RX350 Projectors with STi-R clear lens, tuned and secondary shield cut down
Osram CBB D2s bulbs
Hella Gen 3 D2s ballasts
EBay blacked out housing with clear lens.

Pictures below are not final and are just a mockup so I can see what adjustments need to be made.

20180212_165511.jpg

20180212_181602.jpg

20180213_210624.jpg

20180213_210642.jpg

20180213_210649.jpg

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you should heavily consider getting the proper crimping tools for your electrical connections!!! Flat crimping is a very poor choice and is not how it is designed to work. Especially for HEADLIGHTS!!!!!

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
you should heavily consider getting the proper crimping tools for your electrical connections!!! Flat crimping is a very poor choice and is not how it is designed to work. Especially for HEADLIGHTS!!!!!
I own proper crimping tools but forgot them in my work truck and wasn't going out in the pouring rain. So a flat crimp for the night allowed me to check rotation before I drilled my mounting holes. Also that's a 9006 female plug so once it went into the truck it would be the proper connector.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score

How dare you question his workmanship. Do you know who youre talking to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
How dare you question his workmanship. Do you know who youre talking to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have questions? Have something to add? I'd be more than happy to answer all of your questions so you can tell me I'm wrong.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know nothing about this stuff, but is the cylindrical metal housing from a Lexus RX350 SUV, then the domed lens from a Subaru WRX? I assume each has a distinct advantage over the other - surely there is a reason you sourced out these specific items? Is the Lexus housing used just to get a certain bulb size, but its domed lens not great?

Hoping to see a cool solution to the turn signal, especially since its reflector panels are black, which is unexpected.

I'll be watching this thread and appreciate your contributions.

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I know nothing about this stuff, but is the cylindrical metal housing from a Lexus RX350 SUV, then the domed lens from a Subaru WRX? I assume each has a distinct advantage over the other - surely there is a reason you sourced out these specific items? Is the Lexus housing used just to get a certain bulb size, but its domed lens not great?

Hoping to see a cool solution to the turn signal, especially since its reflector panels are black, which is unexpected.

I'll be watching this thread and appreciate your contributions.

The STi-R clear lens is an aftermarket solution designed to meet the same optics as the original STi lens except it's clear. The oem STi lens is a Fresnel, frosted or dimpled lens and have a negative effect on output but is done so the lights aren't as harsh on your(oncoming traffic) eyes. A good portion of oem come with clear lenses but Subaru chose not to use them.

The rear section is from a Lexus RX 350 SUV and just the glass is from the STI. The swap is made because the RX350 lens is a fresnel lens and severely affects how it performs. The STI lens meets the same Optics except it's clear so it makes the RX350 perform that much better. I'll link a video about the lens swap below

As far as all the black reflectors I'm using all LEDs and they distribute plenty of light even without the reflector. I'll attach a picture of what I'm using now with the reflector not painted

20171224_141309.jpg

20171223_161436.jpg

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is that amber strip a DRL? Does it flash with the turn signal?

Uuuugggghhhhh I'm gonna need more pictures and/or a walkthrough cuz I need to do this.

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Is that amber strip a DRL? Does it flash with the turn signal?

Uuuugggghhhhh I'm gonna need more pictures and/or a walkthrough cuz I need to do this.
That is a switchback strip. White for the parking light, flashes Amber for the blinker.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice to see you doing some new retrofits, pretty solid combo you have going there. Output should be incredible.
Are the Hella ballasts 35W? And what made you choose the CBB over the CBI?