Another retrofit started. RX350!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are looking really good, and very clean job.
You going to match the switchback strip with a switchback turn signal bulb so it will be all-white when in parking mode and all-amber when turn signal is on?

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
These are looking really good, and very clean job.
You going to match the switchback strip with a switchback turn signal bulb so it will be all-white when in parking mode and all-amber when turn signal is on?
Yes, I already have switchback turn signals that will be transferred from my current housing to the new.

Here they are mounted with fishing line. The fishing line will be gone over with jb weld on the back side to keep them tied tight.

20190105_214046.jpg

20190105_214101.jpg

20190105_220711.jpg

20190105_220724.jpg

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like that video, I wasn’t aware the Diode Dynamics had a high/low in addition to the switchback. The fishing line is an interesting touch, seems like all the ones I see are glued/epoxied onto the headlight, but this seems cleaner and won’t destroy the switchback if you ever decide to tear these apart and use them in something new.

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I like that video, I wasn’t aware the Diode Dynamics had a high/low in addition to the switchback. The fishing line is an interesting touch, seems like all the ones I see are glued/epoxied onto the headlight, but this seems cleaner and won’t destroy the switchback if you ever decide to tear these apart and use them in something new.

The Diode strips actually come with eyelits to loop fishing line through but considering how narrow this area is I needed to cut them off. I also epoxy the knot on the fishing line just to keep it tight. But I can cut the fishing line and re use these unlike something mounted with epoxy.

Also Diode strips can be cut down 20% if needed. In this application that's great because I need 10" and they sell 9 or 12. I cut 2" off and they were the perfect lemgth.

I haven't decided if I'll use the high/low or just keep it static. I'll figure that out once they go into the car

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Everytime I say I'm going to close these I decide to do something else. I used VVivid air-release dark smoke tint for the reflectors. Thoughts?

I did this because I'm using a white Led behind the clear reflector and it was really bright maybe too bright. Figured this would dim it down a little

20190112_205611.jpg

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everytime I say I'm going to close these I decide to do something else. I used VVivid air-release dark smoke tint for the reflectors. Thoughts?

I did this because I'm using a white Led behind the clear reflector and it was really bright maybe too bright. Figured this would dim it down a little

View attachment 28371
I’d like to see how it looks lit, but the color is a good match for the reflector bowl. I’m a big fan of murdered-out headlights, so naturally I approve.
But that switchback REALLY sticks out with nothing to draw your eye away from it. I know you previously mentioned possibly not using the ‘high’ of that strip, is it out of the question to tint it as well, then use the high setting to offset the tint?

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I’d like to see how it looks lit, but the color is a good match for the reflector bowl. I’m a big fan of murdered-out headlights, so naturally I approve.
But that switchback REALLY sticks out with nothing to draw your eye away from it. I know you previously mentioned possibly not using the ‘high’ of that strip, is it out of the question to tint it as well, then use the high setting to offset the tint?
Unfortunately I can't tint the switchback strip which is why I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep the tint. The strip looks so lonely and just stands out so I was also thinking about a partial tint. Maybe cut a stripe out of the tint to leave clear roughly the width of the strip or even 2 stripes cut(front to back).

Lit up its still very bright but can obviously tell its tinted.