Another (slow) Build Thread...My 1997 Expedition XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAexpy

Reaction score
I recently re-took possession of my 1997 Expedition XLT 4WD, with 5.4L and 3.73 LS, that had been cared for by my Dad for the past several years - thus, the Nevada plates.

Here's a pic of my Expy with 3" body lift, 33" BFG KO All Terrains on 16x8 Ultra 164 polished wheels

View media item 7262

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
I had a few days off for Thanksgiving week and did some small projects to clean up the Expy - I used Dupli-Color Trim & Bumper Paint to freshen up the faded OEM honeycomb grill insert, window trim all around. I also installed new gap guards upfront for my 3" body lift, as the passenger side was missing (somehow got torn off). Here are a few picsView media item 7261View media item 7265View media item 7266View media item 7263

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
I am considering a few things for a lift:

1. Installing 3/2" lift using re-indexed torsion keys upfront, and either spacers of Ford F-250 springs in the rear.
2. Trying to figure out if I can mix & match a Rough Country 4" lift for an F150, and either 2" F250 springs or 4" springs for an Expy (eBay). Have to make sure what is used for a rear lift on an Expy, aside from springs (i.e., extended Sway bar links)
3. RCD 5" lift (this is the most expensive option), if I decide to spend that much just on a lift, but will take some time to save for this

Tires: Plan on running 35"or 37" Milestar Patagonia MTs due to their lighter weight - I'm okay with a little bit of trimming.

Gears: Will re-gear to 4.56 front/rear and install Truetrac posi in the front/Yukon posi in the rear

Bumpers: Considering front winch bumper from Blue Lake Offroad or Coastal Offroad. Rear bumper from Blue Lake Offroad - the Blue Lake and Coastal bumpers can be built to account for the 3" body lift. If I decide to just add a hitch mounted tire carrier, I will go with the WILCO Hitchgate Solo

Sliders: Looking at the XO-Fab 80" sliders with kick out - just have to find a someone who can weld them for me, locally

hypercardriac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gonna be watching how you do.. I’ve researched a few of your choices already, and your shopping in the right places.. I don’t see any pics showing up, but maybe my phone is trippin out today.. I found a set of 4” lift springs for the first gen expedition I would have liked but I went a different route myself due to zero income and being disabled.. I am anxious to see your progress. So many people say they an expedition isn’t capable of wheeling, but I have proved them wrong,lol, ready to see you do the same.. Good luck, can’t wait to see your progress.. Just for ***** and giggles, here’s my toy.. IMG_8174.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hypercardriac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, great choice in tires. Mines sitting on 33” pats in the pic.. I am going 35” soon.. got 3 years out of them without ever rotating, and would have gotten longer if I didn’t have posi rear.. the front still have life.. the rear are toast.. Pat’s do everything you need from a tire..

You’re going to need a longer panhard bar as well, at 4” your gonna pull the axle to the drivers side quite a bit.

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
I swapped in the junk yard grill, checked the fluids and tires, loaded up and took a week long trip to my parents' in the Lake Tahoe / Reno area. The Expy drove great and averaged 13.6 mpg, saw lots of snow (for me) driving through the Sierras.

One thing I found out was that the front heater stopped blowing hot air, but thank God for the rear heater (on HIGH). I spent some time looking through threads and it seems like it will be the blend door or the actuator - both inlet and outlet hoses were pretty warm, but not hot. Something else for me to do

Here's a pic on my way up north, and a pic a week later (yesterday) on my way back down to SoCal
View media item 7270View media item 7271

Last edited:

hypercardriac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I swapped in the junk yard grill, checked the fluids and tires, loaded up and took a week long trip to my parents' in the Lake Tahoe / Reno area. The Expy drove great and averaged 13.6 mpg, saw lots of snow (for me) driving through the Sierras.

One thing I found out was that the front heater stopped blowing hot air, but thank God for the rear heater (on HIGH). I spent some time looking through threads and it seems like it will be the blend door or the actuator - both inlet and outlet hoses were pretty warm, but not hot. Something else for me to do

Here's a pic on my way up north, and a pic a week later (yesterday) on my way back down to SoCal
View media item 7270View media item 7271

For some reason none of your pics are loading.. Not sure if it’s your end or mine, but I see pics in the rest of the threads..