Any 30'+ Travel Trailer owners out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickattu

Reaction score
How did this setup tow? I've looked at this model but the length scared me away. I'm towing 26ft now which is supposedly a super light trailer (4900 dry, 6200GVWR) and I'm really shocked shadow cruiser could pull off 5700 ponds dry on something that size with tongue and groove roof and floors. Maybe I need to give it another look. I pulled my 26ft box trailer from Boise to couer'd'laine a few weeks ago and averaged 7-8mpg at 70. Cost a little over $400 of premium fuel for that trip, still cheaper than renting a hotel room for 5 people.

With four kids (two in their teens), I needed a Quadbunk setup. Wife and I decided a trailer was a better option then hotel rooms for vacations for the next "season" of life! My trip from Omaha to Black Hills, SD and Estes Park CO was 1533 miles at 8.3 mpg. The expedition pulls really well, although at steep grades down the engine does not maintain speed as well as our previous 5.7 HEMI and required some occasional use of the brakes.

Below are real weights from my CAT scale...

Below is my trailer weight unhooked from my Expedition. Drive Axle was the tongue, with the trailer wheels on the trailer scale section. This was not fully loaded for a trip, but with battery, two propane tanks and some water in the tanks.

upload_2019-7-2_12-50-19.png

Just Expedition (2017 Limited EL 4x2):

upload_2019-7-2_12-55-50.png

With my WDH "dialed-in" I was able to get my front axle within 40Lbs of unloaded weight.

upload_2019-7-2_12-53-57.png

upload_2019-7-2_12-53-31.png

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  • That's impressive. I agree though, engine braking is really the only place the expedition comes up short. In 2nd gear down a grade with a trailer, it still wants to run away down the hill. My 2010 5.4L F150 would actually need me to step on the gas going down the same grades in 2nd gear with the same trailer or it would slow to a crawl.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a Sunset Trail 270bh with an overall length of 31'11" and a GVWR of 7600lbs with my 2017 EL Limited with HD towing. I went on the scale last year and the trailer axles weighted 6600lbs. I thought my tongue were was arround 850-900lbs max (13%). I bought a trailer tongue scale and found out that my tongue weight was a bit over 1000lbs loaded for camping wihtout fresh water in the tank. o_O

I have an Equalizer WDH with 1000lbs bars and even tough I can bring the front at the unhook height there noticeable squat in the back. I'm using the max number of washers (8) in the head. The bars are just not strong enough. You want the bars parra

The ride is good with very minimal sway in big crosswind, no white knuckles, just the back bouncing a little here and there.

If I were to do it again, I will buy the 1200lbs bars. The 624lbs tongue weight in the brochure wasn't really accurate...

In short, a 32ft overall travel trailer is ok if setup correctly.

May I ask why you tow with water in your tanks? Unless you are boondocking, there is no reason to carry another 400+ pounds with you. I always fill up when we get to the campground, and drain my tanks when I leave.

JohnnyFort

Reaction score
May I ask why you tow with water in your tanks? Unless you are boondocking, there is no reason to carry another 400+ pounds with you. I always fill up when we get to the campground, and drain my tanks when I leave.

I usually don't tow with water in the tank. 1000lb tongue weight it's without water. I will tow with water (just a few gallons) only on long trips for bathroom emergencies...

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
Getting close to finalizing deal to bring home a 32ft Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265BH, 6400lb uvwr, 7500lb gvwr, ~800lb hitch weight for my 2020 Expedition.

You all seem you be experts on long trailers for expy.

Just two things on my mind:
- Did I mess up not getting the Max/EL version of expy? Yes, but not too much?

- What is the current best antisway wdh for long trailer on expy? Pro Pride 3p and Blu Ox seem popular, Andersen and equalizer low weight, Reese straight line also a contender. For safety - leaning towards Pro Pride despite price, but just became aware that it is really heavy... if not pro pride, what is 2nd best while nit crazy weight?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are going to find out you want an F-250 really quick towing that rig

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting close to finalizing deal to bring home a 32ft Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265BH, 6400lb uvwr, 7500lb gvwr, ~800lb hitch weight for my 2020 Expedition.

You all seem you be experts on long trailers for expy.

Just two things on my mind:
- Did I mess up not getting the Max/EL version of expy? Yes, but not too much?

- What is the current best antisway wdh for long trailer on expy? Pro Pride 3p and Blu Ox seem popular, Andersen and equalizer low weight, Reese straight line also a contender. For safety - leaning towards Pro Pride despite price, but just became aware that it is really heavy... if not pro pride, what is 2nd best while nit crazy weight?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Long wheelbase is preferred, but not anything you can do about it now, short of trading in your tow vehicle.

I've never seen anyone confirm their hitch setup with a scale ticket and say it's still not working. But most people prefer whichever one they've used. I use a Husky Centerline 32218. It works great, I don't have any complaints.

ProPride and Hensley are supposedly the best, but I haven't used them and have no first-hand knowledge of their performance. With the short wheelbase, it may be worthwhile to try one out if you're willing to spend the coin. Whole either the Hensley or ProPride (same designer) will likely control sway better, I don't know that it's worth the price premium over other options. Sway is caused by improper loading. If the weight is distributed properly, it shouldn't be an issue.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will be just fine with a standard wheel base Expy. I towed a Outback 293UBH which was 33' long and had a 7600 pound GVWR with a 2003 Expedition 5.4... was just fine towing, stopping, etc, lacked power though.

I am a believer in Equalizer E4's. I had one on the old trailer and my new heavier trailer we got a new one. Still have my old 1000/10000 E4 if you need one, and to far away? I'd sell it to you for a 1/4 of what they are new... I'm in Columbus Ohio.

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
I'm still evaluating hitches, looks like there are 5 categories...

Cheap hitches that suck all around...
Amazing hitches meant for utility trailers only- geny
Good hitches that minimize but don't prevent sway- Equalizer, Blu Ox?
Good Hitches that claim to be 'Active sway prevention ' but may just minimize it better? Reese Straight Line
Expensive good hitches with proven sway prevention- Pro Pride, Hensley

Update- After further review, I think I'm going to go with the hybrid Reese Straight Line plus GenY Torsion setup that one of the reviewers here uses with a F250 and 12k lb trailer. I already own the 10k rated GenY hitch which I used on smaller trailers that didn't need WDH.

Etrailers page on the Straight Line hitch- https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP66083.html

Might have to switch to the higher tongue weight bars.

We will try towing carefully with the non max expedition we have, and re-evaluate if braking power isnt sufficient , the trailer pushes around the expy too much, or keeping payload under limit becomes impossible.

We are limited to 1537lb payload on existing expedition, should be tight..but Ill try to keep trailer weight under 7K although that might limit how many batteries, propane tanks, solar panels, or other stuff we carry.

Trying to figure out what else I can do to avoid putting too much stress on the expy.

I assume Expy plus 32ft trailer too big to go to most gas stations? I fit the expy fine with 20ft trailer in the past.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We will try towing carefully with the non max expedition we have, and re-evaluate if braking power isnt sufficient , the trailer pushes around the expy too much, or keeping payload under limit becomes impossible.

We are limited to 1537lb payload on existing expedition, should be tight..but Ill try to keep trailer weight under 7K although that might limit how many batteries, propane tanks, solar panels, or other stuff we carry.

I assume Expy plus 32ft trailer too big to go to most gas stations? I fit the expy fine with 20ft trailer in the past.

We use truck stops, as they generally have more space. My range between stops is about 250 miles, so I just flag the truck stops that distance apart. I did come across one that was very tight for pedestrian vehicles, so I view the satellite photo before flagging the shop.

Make sure you visit a scale after getting everything loaded for a trip. As I mentioned, I've never seen anyone with a scale ticket complain about their hitch. Safe travels!