Any families gone from Supercrew pick up to Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My decision was easy. I always had a F150 then this year was going to get a Raptor and my son said why?
If you do not need outside rough carry like a pickup truck bed to me the Expy was a no brainer. We laid out scenarios where we would be on a trip and all our luggage would be in the open back, exposed to the weather and theft. The Expedition solves all these.

Dragonzord

Reaction score
I was about to order a '23 F350 Tremor to be the ultimate family hauling rig. I've a had a couple superduty trucks in the past and they're great. My last truck was a '18 F150 3.5 and it was awesome. I had to sell it do this overseas military tour we're on. But we're moving back soon and need a family hauler. I'm starting to second guess this decision and thinking maybe an Expedition Timberline will do a better job.

We're a family of 4 plus a 100 pound dog. Lots of baseball and soccer mom weekends, road trips, ski trips etc. I don't even currently have a trailer to tow. But one of my requirements is being able to tow my 4 door Jeep Rubicon on a car trailer if I want to take it to far away places like Moab UT from the East Coast. That would be maybe once a year or less.

Just typing this already sounds like the SUV is the way to go. I just wanted to see what ya'll think.

Finally, as much as I don't want to spend all the money on the high line trim, those captain chairs are pretty much essential for the dog to move around on long trips, plus ease of getting to the 3rd row for the kids if I need to haul more adults like taking the grandparents somewhere.
I believe I've seen your post on the Tremor Forum. I have both a 2021 F250 Tremor and a 2022 Expedition Max Stealth. We're a family of 7 with a large dog. We use the Expedition for everything! If I wasn't such a truck guy, I would have a 2nd Expedition, probably a Timberline. Most of the time I'll take the Expedition over my truck when its just me and the oldest as well.

A positive note for the truck is the physical 360 camera button, I hate having to use the touch screen on the expedition.

Positive for the expedition, its way more comfortable for everyone. Front and rear seats are better.

If you don't need the truck bed or towing, go for the Expedition. Trust me, go for the Max, that extra space is great!

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only reason I'm on my 2d Expedition (2007 and 2017) is to tow my 6000 pound camper trailer. Not sure what your trailer weighs.

Took me a while to find an Expedition withOUT the "Captains" seats. My three dogs ride back there and there's no way to keep them in the seats. My son-in-law likes them for his two infant children.

Expedition can tow about 9300 pounds (empty). Cargo and passengers are limited to about 1400 pounds leaving you with 7900 pounds of trailer if the truck is fully loaded. Maximum towing capacity is just that. I follow the One Ton Rule which states the truck must have 2000 pounds more towing capacity than the trailer weighs.

Expedition has much of the towing capacity of a F150 but I'm not lugging a pickup truck every day of the week.

-- Chuck
You do know that the tongue weight of the trailer counts as cargo weight, right? So a 7900 pound trailer with 10% tongue weight (790 pounds) takes that 790 off your 1400 pounds of cargo capacity and leaves you 610 pounds of cargo capacity. Two people and 3 dogs can easily exceed that with nothing else in the vehicle.

Fully loaded Expeditions have very little towing capacity as the tongue weight puts you over limits.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Towing my 6000 pound travel trailer last week I averaged 10.0 - 10.2 mpg pretty much regardless of terrain. Mountains in Vermont/New Hampshire or Piedmont here in Virginia. This is the 6 speed Gen3 2017 truck in Tow/Haul. Might get better mileage with the extra gear ratios in the 10 speed.

-- Chuck