any major issues with '21s or '22s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 2017 Limited, bought new in 2018 with 50k on the clock. Love the vehicle but looking to buy a '21 or '22 Limited either slightly used or new if possible. Are there any major issues I should look out for?

I really like the vehicle but it's time for a newer one. Interest rates at my credit union just went up a point and a half and I'm thinking it will rise again. Please don't try to talk me into keeping this one, it makes more sense financially now but probably not in the long run.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 2017 Limited, bought new in 2018 with 50k on the clock. Love the vehicle but looking to buy a '21 or '22 Limited either slightly used or new if possible. Are there any major issues I should look out for?

I really like the vehicle but it's time for a newer one. Interest rates at my credit union just went up a point and a half and I'm thinking it will rise again. Please don't try to talk me into keeping this one, it makes more sense financially now but probably not in the long run.

Aside from a recall about bursting into flames, and some wiper motors. Both are good.
One is refreshed though, so do some research.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, like rd said, 22my are the refreshed version, so it will be a bit higher in price and newer in features. The limited trim comes in many ways with many features so def find out what you are looking for in the vehicle, esp when it comes to the 22my. As far as reliability, except for some smallish/annoting electrical things, it seems the reliability of the 4th gen has greatly improved over the years. Both are a huge improvement over your 17 however so you won't do wrong, just good luck finding any right now, even used higher trim trucks are difficult to find right now and ford can't keep 22my high trims on the lot longer than a wk.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I wouldn't imagine that any 2022 had anything to watch out for as far as normal wear components since they are so new still. No problems really with both, just the normal cam phasers.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Amd s
I wouldn't imagine that any 2022 had anything to watch out for as far as normal wear components since they are so new still. No problems really with both, just the normal cam phasers.
And Shocks on base suspension

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of Dead 15" screens on 22's, so I would forget that screen.
Not entirely sure on this, on this forum maybe less than a dozen people posted about their 15" not working. Verdict could go either way, but not enough data to determine it's a true "issue" at scale with the entire system. (Comparing to something like a known problem like cam phasers)
It's in a lot of vehicles too, standard in KR and Plat, along with the bulk of expected Ltd purchases, also in the mach-e and lightning. My 2 cents, it's not as big of a problem as a forum would make you think.
I will say, it is buggier than I would like, but not enough to discourage someone from getting it.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dlcorbett,

I'll be getting the tow package, are the shocks OK on those?

dwmarks

Reaction score
Not entirely sure on this, on this forum maybe less than a dozen people posted about their 15" not working. Verdict could go either way, but not enough data to determine it's a true "issue" at scale with the entire system. (Comparing to something like a known problem like cam phasers)
It's in a lot of vehicles too, standard in KR and Plat, along with the bulk of expected Ltd purchases, also in the mach-e and lightning. My 2 cents, it's not as big of a problem as a forum would make you think.
I will say, it is buggier than I would like, but not enough to discourage someone from getting it.
I’d agree with this. Got the 15” screen and love it. There is an occasional glitch (maybe once a month) but my old Sync 3 screen was about the same. Love the wireless Apple CarPlay - big improvement over plugging in. I will say that when a glitch does occur, it is usually when connected via CarPlay, so I’m not even sure it’s a ford problem vs an Apple problem.