Any Off-roaders / wheelers in Expedition ELs? Can we expand the parts aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can find UCAs spacer kits. That’s it. They aren’t marketed as off road vehicles and companies would rather spend the money to build stuff for actual off-road tucks such as the F series. Get a good set of Readylift 3/2 spacers, throw on some 35s and have fun. That’s what I did seein as how no company has or will be making a legitimate lift kit over 4”

3" suspension lift seems to be the safety/liability limit consensus

Also at least one state (somewhere in New England iirc) has a ban on lifts of >2" on public roads

nonsense

Reaction score
I got stuck in 1" of mud (with front tires on the road) in my "4wd" Expidition EL, so the thought of off-roading at all gives me a bit of panic. The only off-road I want to do is to accidentally let it roll off a cliff.

I think I got a lemon though, had the transfer case rebuild twice so far and it still doesn't work. So I wouldn't trust it being out far alone even if it did work. If I wanted to offroad I'd get a Toyota

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got stuck in 1" of mud (with front tires on the road) in my "4wd" Expidition EL, so the thought of off-roading at all gives me a bit of panic. The only off-road I want to do is to accidentally let it roll off a cliff.

I think I got a lemon though, had the transfer case rebuild twice so far and it still doesn't work. So I wouldn't trust it being out far alone even if it did work. If I wanted to offroad I'd get a Toyota

The transfer case in these trucks is built very well. It’s built by BorgWarner for Ford which is one of the best in the business. How did they come to the consensus the T-Case was your issue? More often than not the problems on this system are related to the vacuum portion not hard part failures.

nonsense

Reaction score
The transfer case in these trucks is built very well. It’s built by BorgWarner for Ford which is one of the best in the business. How did they come to the consensus the T-Case was your issue? More often than not the problems on this system are related to the vacuum portion not hard part failures.

They opened up the t-case and the clutches were burnt to shit, twice in two years. They say that the electronic control module went bad causing it to destroy the clutches. Seems odd that Ford would make two bad modules and I'd be the lucky one to find them both.

I'm looking at having to rebuild it a third time now, but it's probably not worth it. I posted about it here
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2011-el-4wd-completely-inoperable.37162/

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I heard from XOFab on the custom 92” slider and they quoted $275 plus $100 shipping.
So one is looking about a $175 difference. That difference should cover the cost to have them LineXd.