Any suspension upgrades out there for 1st Gen AWD??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tjhoward84

Reaction score
I have a 1999 AWD and when I put on my summer tires (305/40-22), the truck wonders all over the road. To the point that you need to drive with 2 firm hands on the wheel. I've had the upper and lower control arms replaced (stock parts), the tie rods, the steering box. Pretty much everything. The truck is lowered using different torsion bar keys. The only thing I'm thinking is the torsion bars now have very little pre-load on them. Could that be the cause? I know some of it is because of the tires and the fact that they are almost 12" wide - they catch every rut and groove in the road.

When I put my winter tires (stock 265/70-17) on, the truck behaves much better.

Thoughts??

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe a steering stabilizer might help, helped me a little with my bigger tires. I know the bigger tires will grab more and pull more.

OP
OP
Tjhoward84

Tjhoward84

Reaction score
I like the idea of adding a steering stabilizer. Does anyone have a particular brand or product to recommend? Any pictures of their install?

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a fabtech, I know it’s a ****** picture. I added the boot and painted it black. You can’t see it with skid plate in the way.

D3A4FBFD-964A-49BC-986F-DE220FEAEC89.jpeg

OP
OP
Tjhoward84

Tjhoward84

Reaction score
Just ordered the Rancho RS5000 with the brackets. Gets here by Aug. 7th. We'll see if this works.

OP
OP
Tjhoward84

Tjhoward84

Reaction score
Update - Installed the Rancho RS5000 Steering Stabilizer and promptly removed it 2 weeks later. It was rubbing on my Hotchkis Front Swaybar and pushed the transmission cooler lines up into the crank pulley. Luckily I got to it before any damage was done to the cooler lines. I need to mention I do not have the original stock 5.4L engine that came in my Expedition. It's been replaced by the 2001 Lightning crate engine that uses a larger low crank pulley. I suspect that was the issue causing the rubbing.