Anyone build their own?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeff kushner, Feb 14, 2020 at 2:47 AM.

1. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

I have never built my own, other than a 5 minute Zipgun build as a kid......needless to say, while it fired(used a lampshade rod, perfect for .22LR), it was not safe nor accurate.

Now I'm grown up more or less....so my kit is better!

The colored diagram to the left is just for general reference. After removing the tabs on the frame...I'm guessing around 15 minutes to assemble?

The " engine builder" in me is telling me to polish the firing pin and the lands for the slide. With all the polishing gear I have, I don't think that racking the slide 500 or 1000 times to "loosen it up" is necessarily in my future.

I don't like reinventing the wheel though so I'll ask you guys for any advice or tips.

Unfortunately, these kits won't be around too much longer.....but if you care to own what your Constitution promises w/o the government registration, licence or TAX; State or Federal you might want to order one.

jeff

Mods; my apology if this is breaking any rules....

g19.jpg

762mm likes this.
  2. coupe11

coupe11 Full Access Members

Never built a glock like pistol.

Built a few AR15s in .223 and 9MM.

Why polish off the finish? I've never had a new pistol that required polishing of the slide/frame rails, or the striker.

I get a new/used gun I take it apart (yours is already apart), inspect/clean/lube the parts and put it back together. Then go to the range and shoot it. I've never had a new handgun have issues during the initial range sessions while "breaking in". I take that back, had a new M&P 9MM with lots of issues but that's another story.

I polished the feed ramp (Dremel, polishing drum, lapping compound) on one of my CZ P01 Omega pistols a few months after I bought it. I had, over a 3 month period, three jams where the hollow point bullet hit the feed ramp and just stopped. The barrel had a black finish on it and the feed ramp had a little spot in it I could feel with my finger nail. I polished the finish off the feed ramp, polished more till I could not longer feel that spot with my finger nail and cleaned it up and put it back in the slide. Never a single issue with that pistol since then.

Polishing/stoning is usually more to smooth something up than to make it work. On the metal CZs I have polished trigger bars. On the XD 45 I polished the sides of the sear, ejector, sear activator and trigger bar where they all rubbed against each other.

I only have one Glock. It's fit is loose/sloppy enough that nothing needed to be polished as that would have opened up the clearances even more.

Once you get it done, take it to the range and post a report on function and group size.

jeff kushner likes this.
  3. jeff kushner

Thanks Coupe, I figured one of the country boys would come out and help me out. I've fired my sons '19 and liked it alot. He's building a 17 this w/e when he comes over. Father/son side by side builds....

I also noticed that the Glocks in general are very loose fitting assemblies but according to everyone, including the desk guys at Glock, they are like Chinese AK's in that respect....they operate fine being so loose.

I'll take your advice and not polish, only lube and we'll see how well they fire once we can get them to a range after the builds. To get proper groupings for a sidearm, I'll have to let my son fire them...he's very good with a sidearm, much better than I am but at least I was still able to take him to school with his AR15 Blackout 300. That has to be hands down, the finest weapon I've ever fired....wow.

jeff

4. carymccarr

carymccarr Full Access Members

What part of “well regulated” escapes you?

ManUpOrShutUp likes this.
  5. jeff kushner

Women offending liberals.....very fine women at that!

jeff

secure border.jpg

TobyU and 762mm like this.
  6. jeff kushner

I think there is 762 on the left....and the liberal cuck on the right?

jeff

00h0h_6m6EOEPZjA8_1200x900.jpg

762mm likes this.
  7. Black

Black Full Access Members

“Well regulated” would be referring to the militia.

which is 2 commas before

“the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

what part of “shall not be infringed” escapes you?

But back to the regularly scheduled programs. Not built any Glocks. Don’t like Glocks so no desire to build them.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 11:39 AM
  8. carymccarr

Yeah. I’ve seen that in the NRA literature too. It ignores the fact that militias were citizen run and it’s simply ensuring that they (the citizens in the militia) have unfettered access to gun acquisitions.

Either way, doesn’t bother me. If grown men want to play army that’s fine by me. To each their own. Have at it.

9. carymccarr

Well...at least you stopped posting dick pics. Pics of kids is just as creepy but nobody expects more from you lol.

10. Black

Black Full Access Members

You are leaving out a key aspect. The militia is made up of individuals and can not operate or function without them. The 2nd Amendment specifically states the right of the people, which discerns an individual right separate of the militia, there for an individuals right to keep and bare arms is not to be infringed and has nothing to do with the militia in many aspects.

Trainmaster likes this.