Anyone experience strong plastic burning smell when use the heater?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has been happening like 3 times after I drove over 30 minutes or over an hour. When I get off the highway to the ramp, a very strong plastic burning smell would show up in the cabin and I had to roll down the window for fresh air. I noticed when I use 4wd and turn the heater to 73 degrees in the last week or so. I felt like something burning but couldn't pinpoint where it came from. I did open the hood but didn't see any smoke since was cold outside around 30 degrees or less. I checked my interior and there is nothing blocking the vents. Called my dealer and they won't take it in until the 28th of this month. I just wonder if someone had experienced similar issue. The smell was sicken that my kids wanted to puke if I didn't open the windows immediately.

PS: I did the cam phasers replacement back in June and did get some burning smell and smoke when I took my Exp to Florida from Arkansas. Basically over 2 hours of driving, I would smell and see smoke coming to the cabin but it came and went away. Thank you

iowacarpenter

Reaction score
Don't know about the 4th Gen, but I just got a recall letter from Ford for my 3rd Gen 2016. I guess there's a defect for the front blower motor, to where it can catch fire. They said to shut off the HVAC system if you smell or see smoke. Yikes.

Might be worth Googling if the recall covers the 4th Gen ones. I'm at work and don't have the letter in front of me to know what the recall # is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360