Anyone gone from Minivan to Expedition Max?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to rent an Expedition Max for a week to see what it's like to live with compared to our 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited. Now if I could just get the rental company to quit renting it out from under me! It's hard to rent a SPECIFIC car around here at times - no I don't want a Suburban! :)

Try Turo.

GC2019

Reaction score
Both have their place. If my kids were little, I would be squarely in a mini van. You just can’t beat the ability to go from the front seat to the back seats through the open area to tend to the kids.
If my kids were teens or bigger, an SUV.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d never do a minivan but I see the point to them. A full size SUV puts you in the cool kids club though.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all!

Have been considering an Expedition Max or Navigator L and currently have a Chrysler Pacifica. I even ordered a Navigator last Spring and turned it down at the last second ... I'm not sure why the hesitation, but it mostly has to do with losing the convenience of those sliding doors in the van and the overall length of the Max/L. We have a 3 1/2 yr old and a 1 1/2 year old and will be traveling more with my in-laws starting next Spring/Summer and I figured if we were going to get one then, we might as well do so prior to winter to have 4wd when it moreso matters. I have to say the craptastic RSES is a concern as well ... just give us a direct line DVD option as well FORD!

I am having a lot of hesitation about this change for some reason. Trust me, I would love to not drive a minivan but they are so convenient in many ways. The 4wd in an Expedition/Navigator would obviously be a benefit, but is there anything else anyone can suggest to consider? We will order the 2nd row bench if we end up getting one.

Any thoughts and input welcome!

i went from minivans to Jeep Patriot to Expedition. The seats in second and third row are much more comfortable for adults. I am 6’2” and pretty heavy. I could not sit comfortably in the second and third rows of minivans. 2003 Chevy Venture and 2006 Dodge Caravan.

4A is useful for wet roads. On the EL/Max the side doors are pretty large.

The biggest inconvenience is the difference in height for loading cargo. However for seatbelting kids I don’t have to bend over like I did with other vehicles.

With both rows the the space seems wider and longer than what I had in the minivans and my understanding is the Pacifica is smaller than the generation of Caravan I had.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its like sitting around with your buddies and have a few beers here. your gonna get a few razzings! dont take it personally! just a joke

OP
OP
H

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score
So I picked up an Expedition Max and will have it for a week. Some initial thoughts:

It drives much smaller than it is. Really enjoying it. My initial fears were that it would feel huge to drive, but not the case at all so far. The blindspot on the B pillars is pretty pronounced, but not a huge deal as there is a lot of safety equip like BSM etc. I'm averaging about 4-5 mpg less fuel economy than our 2018 Pacifica minivan in mixed driving--not bad. Cargo space behind the 3rd row is adequate but maybe not much better than our minivan, just a different shape.

The 2nd row leg room is amazing and it's nice to have the ability to slide the 2nd row forward and back. Having the bench seat would be a nice bonus over our minivan's captains' chairs. The 2nd row seems roomier than the Navigator I spent time in--the hard backs of the Navigator's front seats maybe take up more space?

It has about 16k miles on it and I have to say it seems kind of rattle-y and not super well put together? I guess rentals do get the crap beat out of them.

I will be back to report more after some time with the Expedition Max. Really looking forward to see how it is to live with--getting kids in and out, parking, drive thrus, etc.

lurch

Reaction score
Minivans? Wrong forum!! You are looking for www.gaydate.com

I don't think they are in the target market... The gay couple down the road from me have some pretty nice sports cars and an RV not much need for all of those minivan seats. Or a woman to tell them how they are wasting their money.