Anyone gone from Minivan to Expedition Max?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score
Been nice around town so far although the wind blew the door onto my leg getting the kids out this morning. Not bad at all through drive thrus and the like. Fuel economy still hanging in just 4 mpg less than our minivan. It's kind of a reach handing things back to the kids, but I guess I could slide their seats forward a bit.

OP
OP
H

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score
So my week with the Expedition Max is up. This weekend I took it to the ranch with one of my kids, so I put some road trip miles on and got to experience it on poorly maintained roads. The fuel economy on the highway/freeway was better than I'd imagined honestly. 22mpg at 74mph on the way up (a slight tailwind). Mostly around 20mpg the rest of the time at speeds around 69mph. I had a decent stretch at 60mph where I was at 24-25mpg.

This vehicle drives smaller than I'd assumed. There is a ton of space in the 2nd row especially. I think I'd like a bit more cargo space behind the 3rd row, but it's solid. The ride was a bit firm in our Limited w 20s, but the tire pressure was a bit high.

Overall I was really pleased with the vehicle. I am very, very torn about what to do. I am going to wait to make a decision until after I'm in the minivan for a week again at least. Those stupid sliding doors are much appreciated when the kids are still toddlers (3 1/2, 1 1/2), but it was actually easier to get the kids in their car seats in the Expedition as far as not having to drop them in or shimmy them around an edge (one still faces rearward).

We will travel more next summer with 4 adults and 2 kids (in-laws along), so I hope to decide at the latest around April or May of 2020. Our minivan is paid for, so I suppose that factors in somehow. I keep saying to myself that if I'm going to buy one next April or May, I may as well order it or buy it now so I have it for winter (although we have 2 AWD/4wd vehicles right now). My brother suggested we wouldn't be road tripping as much as I assume and that we could just rent an Expedition Max or Suburban when we do, so I suppose that is a consideration as well. I have a tendency to just want a new car too quickly (I'm sure I'm not alone in that around here). I feel like I will be sacrificing something for sure as the decision doesn't feel simple. Basically 4wd and more space and comfort in exchange for fuel economy, sliding doors, and more maneuverability. Less cache in driving a minivan obviously. And the DVD system in the minivan is nice and works well (come on Ford, clean that thing up!).

Thanks for all of the input - anything else you have to add as I make a decision is much appreciated!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you rele want a new vehicle, go nav or wait for the new gms/jeep grand wagoneer. If you rele only need it for one road trip, rent one for just the trip. These trucks are expensive and its not a good buy if its not gonna be used for its intended purpose enough.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Overall I was really pleased with the vehicle. I am very, very torn about what to do. I am going to wait to make a decision until after I'm in the minivan for a week again at least.

Our minivan is paid for, so I suppose that factors in somehow. I keep saying to myself that if I'm going to buy one next April or May, I may as well order it or buy it now so I have it for winter (although we have 2 AWD/4wd vehicles right now). My brother suggested we wouldn't be road tripping as much as I assume and that we could just rent an Expedition Max or Suburban when we do, so I suppose that is a consideration as well. I have a tendency to just want a new car too quickly (I'm sure I'm not alone in that around here).

Having a paid-off vehicle is a huge psychological benefit that we frequently overlook when making purchasing decisions. Personally, I don't think you can ever go wrong keeping your money in your pocket unless it will cost you more to do so. And these things have really high depreciation, so the longer you delay the greater the potential for savings if you are willing to go with a late model used vehicle.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go ahead and buy, I recommend you leave yourself enough time for a special order. That way you get exactly what you want. I saved money too. Mine took 6 weeks, but I would allow 10-12 weeks, jst in case.

OP
OP
H

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input! I am going to play wait and see I think ... I may regret that choice if we have an awful winter (like last winter), but I think this makes the most sense given our kids' age. I will plan to rent a larger vehicle if needed.

If I do order, I will special order for sure ... especially if we go with the Navigator as the 2nd row bench is not often found on the lot. I have an X-plan PIN I can obtain and that probably will be the best route to a discount on the Navigator unless buying a 2020 at this time next year.

I like the idea of waiting to see what GM has to offer in its redesign like someone mentioned. Although I would prefer the Ford product, it will interesting to see what GM brings as they had the Expedition/Navigator as a benchmark and put off the redesign a bit because of how solid the new Ford remodel was designed.

cgcg

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input! I am going to play wait and see I think ... I may regret that choice if we have an awful winter (like last winter), but I think this makes the most sense given our kids' age. I will plan to rent a larger vehicle if needed.

If I do order, I will special order for sure ... especially if we go with the Navigator as the 2nd row bench is not often found on the lot. I have an X-plan PIN I can obtain and that probably will be the best route to a discount on the Navigator unless buying a 2020 at this time next year.

I like the idea of waiting to see what GM has to offer in its redesign like someone mentioned. Although I would prefer the Ford product, it will interesting to see what GM brings as they had the Expedition/Navigator as a benchmark and put off the redesign a bit because of how solid the new Ford remodel was designed.

To each his own. But hey it's the internet so why not.....

I cannot ever confidently recommend a first model year of anything, Especially a new vehicle. We become the beta testers.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered my Navigator with 2nd row bench as well. I didn't see a single one on the lot with 2nd row bench. I also customized other things i wanted.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problem with ordering is you won't get any deep discounts like they will offer on stuff on their lots that they want gone......