Anyone Install a Locker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darwin

Reaction score
We tow our travel trailer with the expedition and have been in some areas with loose dirt/sand where we're stuck spinning one wheel. I was looking into rear lockers and looks like Powertrax makes a no-slip locker for our trucks

Anyone have any experience with one of these? Worried about on-road behavior and noises

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Some of the expeditions are offered with a limited slip differential, they're not all that hard to find at the junk yards and you can pay dirt cheap for a complete used assembly... you know these things never fail even if used.

Last year I did a swap from a junked 2006 with LSD to my 2005 with Open diff, I did it for snow traction to avoid having to use 4×4 but it didn't even snow all damn winter, still pulls me out of muddy construction sites alot easier.

Buying a used LSD and paying labor for removal & insulation to a cheap mechanic will run you max $700...

You will have to find one with the same gear ratio however, I dont remember how to decode differential codes but do your research

Good luck

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most are but not all. That's why you need to know when changing rear fluid, the limited slip version needs the dealer additive.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

HornedFrog

Reaction score
Shoot, you mean there not all limited slip? And I think that's what he's trying to avoid.

while i was on the hunt for my 2017, i found that most vehicles were equipped with the open differential, 3.15 or 3.31. The only option to get a limited slip rear axle was to get the 3.73, which very few had. it really limited the vehicles i would consider. it wasn't anything that would show up in the for sale ad, either. i had to go to the window sticker from the VIN in order to find out.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/16rvtt_ford_expedition_sep28.pdf

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Most are but not all. That's why you need to know when changing rear fluid, the limited slip version needs the dealer additive.

U got it backwards Moose, most are Open diffs, most the 4x4 expeditions are open diff, the 2wd expeditions seem more popular with the limited slip but that's not a guarantee either

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sure All Ecoboost ELs have limited slips with 3.73s.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure All Ecoboost ELs have limited slips with 3.73s.

Not necessarily, 2015 models were not available with limited slip. For 2016&17 the EL standard with 3.73s was equipped with a limited slip. Limited slip was not available on trucks with 3.15 or 3.31 gears.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Think my post for locker rear ends got sent into the twilight zone. Anyhoo, Habbibie your right theirs an app you can use from info on door sticker. Or theirs a tag on one of the rear end bolts that will say 3L73 if a limited slip one that's 373 ratio.