Anyone regret going to LT Load E tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After having more than my fair share of flats on the expedition I am thinking that moving to some BFG AT LT tires might be what I need. I know the ride will be more firm with LT tires but how bad are we talking here? I have had them on trucks in the past but these were solid axle trucks that rode rough either way.

I am just curious if anyone has found them to be terribly offensive on the expedition. I do tow a camper and drive on dirt roads a lot.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been running 42 psi cold in my BFG's. Firmer then the P rated Michelins I had but better for towing and puncture resistance. 1 to 2 mpg less than stockers depending on size. I'm running the 275x70x18's on stock FX4 wheels. IMG_6243.JPGIMG_6245.JPG

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 LT load range E tires. They're a little louder than the stock tires, but the ride isn't bad. I keep them aired down in the mid-upper 40s unless I'm towing.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
zero regrets here.

stock 20’s. pulled the factory toyo D’s (which were solid on highway but that’s about it...) & mounted the Nokian Rotiiva AT-Plus E-rated. after a year of full spectrum driving, with our brutal PA potholes & dirt / rock backroads, trips to maine backcountry, i wouldn’t go back from these tires if you paid me.... running 42psi, i think between the rolling resistance compounds they use, the super strong but flexy Aramid sidewalls that help it achieve the AT + E-Rating while keeping the weight way down, they are super comfortable in all driving situations.... more stable under load, even at speed, yet still forgiving at the same time, with no significant mpg reduction & double the tread depth & triple peak snow rated. highly recommended this rubber setup on the expy for year round all around applications.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not scared of a little noise, or reduced mileage. (I daily drive a jeep on 35" mud tires) I am hoping for increased puncture resistance and if they do better towing that is a plus.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been running 42 psi cold in my BFG's. Firmer then the P rated Michelins I had but better for towing and puncture resistance. 1 to 2 mpg less than stockers depending on size. I'm running the 275x70x18's on stock FX4 wheels. View attachment 73116View attachment 73117
That's the tire I am looking at, I hadn't seen the 275/70r18 though, I was looking at 275/65r18 (stock). Any fitment or rubbing issues with that tire?

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
zero regrets here.

stock 20’s. pulled the factory toyo D’s (which were solid on highway but that’s about it...) & mounted the Nokian Rotiiva AT-Plus E-rated. after a year of full spectrum driving, with our brutal PA potholes & dirt / rock backroads, trips to maine backcountry, i wouldn’t go back from these tires if you paid me.... running 42psi, i think between the rolling resistance compounds they use, the super strong but flexy Aramid sidewalls that help it achieve the AT + E-Rating while keeping the weight way down, they are super comfortable in all driving situations.... more stable under load, even at speed, yet still forgiving at the same time, with no significant mpg reduction & double the tread depth & triple peak snow rated. highly recommended this rubber setup on the expy for year round all around applications.
Not a bad looking tire, thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 LT load range E tires. They're a little louder than the stock tires, but the ride isn't bad. I keep them aired down in the mid-upper 40s unless I'm towing.
I had some duelers years ago and liked them a lot, they held up well.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run the Michelin AT/2 LT 18" tires - All Terrain, but I use them year round. Just went through a spring 14" snow dump and had no issues at all, even climbing hills (and dodging all the buses that were stuck)... I run them at 40-42 psi unless I'm towing or carrying a heavy load. The tires should be at 44 psi to carry the load my axles are rated for so I'm careful to air up when hauling.
Slightly more firm ride at that low pressure, slightly more noise (barely noticeable), slightly less fuel efficiency (< 1 mpg I would estimate), way better traction than the original Primacys, and no punctures! The original reason I upgraded was to lessen trailer sway, but I think I could have aired up my Primacy's to their max psi and they would have been similar from that perspective. Towing I run 50psi now and the trailer is solid (with Blue Ox WDH).

cptbligh

Reaction score
I've got 285/60R20 Toyo MTs and the ride has been fine. Would rather have AT3s like on my F150 if I had it to do over, as they're around 13lbs lighter. Between the weight and larger size I have to lock out 9&10 gear to keep it from being a total dog at highway speeds and mileage sucks. I live down half a mile of dirt road and travel rough county roads so it's not a huge deal though

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360