Anyone replaced their air suspension with the standard setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brons2

Reaction score
Well right now I seem to be holding air but anytime the temp goes below 50-55 or so, if I start it up, all the air goes out of the rear end. When that happens I will remote start it several times and eventualy it usually comes back up. Also if the temperature warms up quite a bit it will usually come right back up. I think the blowdown valve that's part of the air compressor is getting stuck. When it's airing itself down the pump is actually running. I have the test procedure from the service manual that a friend from a Ford dealer parts desk sent me. If the compressor tests bad, an OEM replacement is a little under $400, and aftermarket is in the $250-$270 range.

I can also just replace everything with the standard coilover strut setup. I've been looking on Rock Auto at the air susupension conversion kit instructions but they seem to vary as to what they propose to do, and even in the number of strut assemblies they come with.

The Dorman kit instructions suggests turning off the suspension system switch under the right hand kickplate, and also removing the solenoids from the old rear air springs and reattaching them to the system, electrically speaking, to keep the light from coming on. This seems like it would not prevent the system from trying to run though and eventually returning an error.

The Monroe kit suggests using Forscan or the OEM software tools to go in and overwrite a line of code. I am an IT guy and I am comfortable with doing this. However, I'm wondering if it really works as it seems to be in the instrument cluster code that you are disabling it. What keeps the system from running anyway? I guess I could pull the plug on the compressor also, or turn off the switch mentioned in the Dorman instructions?

Also, there are kits that come with two shocks (Dorman, Monroe, Westar), and then there are kits that come with 4 shocks (Dorman).

Anyone actually done this and had success with supressing the warning?

Also, the kits are generally more expensive than buying quick-struts separately for non-load leveling vehicles...but are the struts the same, I guess is the question. Decisions, decisions...

OP
OP
B

Brons2

Reaction score

2014greyford665

Reaction score
If your vehicle is a 2010 then it has a pneumatic Air suspension system, which depends on an air compressor or an electric motor, and it consists of an air spring only with no mechanical spring, and according to what I read, it is hard to repair on maintain, and it sets on both front and back of the vehicle

So maybe you can look for the Nivomat Suspension system, which was available on the 2014-2017 models, its made of a gas spring, mechanical spring, and hydraulic pump, and it takes energy from the relative movements between the axle and the body of the vehicle, unlike the pneumatic, its easier to repair and maintain and its more reliable, and it sets on only the rear of the vehicle

So if you want to keep the ride quality, maybe you can check how much does the Nivomat system costs, I have no idea how much is it and how easy to convert the vehicle from a pneumatic to a nivomat.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Found it on RockAuto for $371 plus shipping. For some reason it's not listed under 2010 Lincoln Navigator, but I found it doing a parts number search.

Instructions are also on RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/genImages/899/C-2529_Installation Manual.pdf

These seem to be the best and most complete instructions as opposed to the ones I posted above. What did you guys do to secure the add-on module?
Thats's a great deal. I just zip tied it to the somrthing under there, I forget what.

big_thumper

Reaction score
I have heard that the ride quality is not as good with the spring conversion. I am wondering if I can find an adapter to convert the air lines to a normal Schrader valve and use a portable pump to inflate when needed or trailering. Replacement air shocks are about the same price as the spring conversion and would leave flexibility for trailering. I am adding that a switch with power would have to be added to activate the shock solenoids. Thoughts.?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brons2

Reaction score
I have heard that the ride quality is not as good with the spring conversion. I am wondering if I can find an adapter to convert the air lines to a normal Schrader valve and use a portable pump to inflate when needed or trailering. Replacement air shocks are about the same price as the spring conversion and would leave flexibility for trailering. Thoughts.?
I actually looked for something like this, or even an adjustable shock, didn't find anything. Manual control with the stock air springs would cut out a lot of the electrical complexity.

I've seen this done with supplemental air bags on pickups and a schrader valve put near the license plate frame that you pump up with a bike pump.

test testor

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Expedition EL bought with the conversion done. I am in ther process of replacing the aftermarket setup with the airbags. I do not like the ride or handling, especially when towing a trailer, which I do often.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01