Anyone tow a 7000lb camper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Rockwood 2509S on order and will be trading in our F-150 for a 2022 Max once they are available. The trailer has a GVWR of 6869lbs. With 13% in tongue weight, thats 892 lbs. Of course we will not be maxing out the 1569lb cargo capacity so that we lower that tongue weight.

Anyone with a camper in that weight/length (26ft) care to share their experience towing with the 4th gen Expy especially in the mountains? Thanks.

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone with a camper in that weight/length (26ft) care to share their experience towing the Expy especially in the mountains?
I have moved your thread to towing and hauling you will get a better response for the information you are looking for.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm nobody?

I think your subject is too specific. I initially ignored it because I don't have the model trailer you referenced. A better question would be has anyone towed a trailer with a GVWR over 6,5000 lbs. My trailer is 7,000 loaded. GVWR is around 7,600 and length is 33'. It tows fine with my 3rd gen. The 4th should be at least as competent. The only real deficiency is the lack of engine braking, owing to the small displacement engine. I've towed above 6,000 feet, but the grades weren't particularly steep. Just make sure you visit a scale and have your weights distributed correctly. Load "E" tires help with stability (and puncture resistance) as well. I haven't really had any issues towing, once I worked out my WDH setup.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2509S on order and will be trading in our F-150 for a 2022 Max once they are available. The trailer has a GVWR of 6869lbs. With 13% in tongue weight, thats 892 lbs. Of course we will not be maxing out the 1569lb cargo capacity so that we lower that tongue weight.

Anyone with a camper in that weight/length (26ft) care to share their experience towing with the 4th gen Expy especially in the mountains? Thanks.

My Keystone Cougar is 27' and GVWR of 7200 lbs. I'm always struggling to keep under the RAWR of the 2018 XLT (standard length), but that's the only real issue I have. I tow in the mountains all the time and power is just not an issue. I'm a 65 mph max kind of guy though so YMMV. Sway is dependent on a well-dialled-in weight distributing hitch - once I set that up correctly sway is minimal. I do recommend running higher tire pressure to minimize sway (45-50 lbs if your tires can go that high).

Marqui3

Reaction score
I have a Rockwood 2608WS, 30 feet tongue to bumpers, about 7000 lbs load My tongue weight is always between 750 to 800 lbs. Payload on my expi is 1560 lbs, only my wife and I ( about 400 lbs) in the truck when I tow so that leaves about 300 lbs leeway. Last scale stop showed about 150 lbs spare when loaded for a camping trip. All that said we took took a trip to Alaska in 2019 (15000 kilometers in all) and I was amazed with the towing capabilities of the expedition. The steepest hills were no problem. As mention engine brake is a little week, but I have a class 1 (CDL) drivers license so it’s not a big concern for me. Just need to adjust accordingly. As far as sway, with the short wheel base I find that on windy days I need to slow down to about 55 miles an hour to be comfortable but still get a bit the tail wagging the dog. The max hopefully will be much better as it adds 11 inches of wheel base. I also find that I get better gas millage when Tow in 7th gear instead of the computer selected 8th gear.
Hope this info helps. I will be interested in your results with the MAX, as I am considering trading up to one myself.

OP
OP
M

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think your subject is too specific. I initially ignored it because I don't have the model trailer you referenced. A better question would be has anyone towed a trailer with a GVWR over 6,5000 lbs. My trailer is 7,000 loaded. GVWR is around 7,600 and length is 33'. It tows fine with my 3rd gen. The 4th should be at least as competent. The only real deficiency is the lack of engine braking, owing to the small displacement engine. I've towed above 6,000 feet, but the grades weren't particularly steep. Just make sure you visit a scale and have your weights distributed correctly. Load "E" tires help with stability (and puncture resistance) as well. I haven't really had any issues towing, once I worked out my WDH setup.
Ya I kind of realized that after I posted. I do know that the Rockwoods/Flagstaffs tend to be pretty tongue heavy. What is the tongue weight on yours?

I have a Rockwood 2608WS, 30 feet tongue to bumpers, about 7000 lbs load My tongue weight is always between 750 to 800 lbs. Payload on my expi is 1560 lbs, only my wife and I ( about 400 lbs) in the truck when I tow so that leaves about 300 lbs leeway. Last scale stop showed about 150 lbs spare when loaded for a camping trip. All that said we took took a trip to Alaska in 2019 (15000 kilometers in all) and I was amazed with the towing capabilities of the expedition. The steepest hills were no problem. As mention engine brake is a little week, but I have a class 1 (CDL) drivers license so it’s not a big concern for me. Just need to adjust accordingly. As far as sway, with the short wheel base I find that on windy days I need to slow down to about 55 miles an hour to be comfortable but still get a bit the tail wagging the dog. The max hopefully will be much better as it adds 11 inches of wheel base. I also find that I get better gas millage when Tow in 7th gear instead of the computer selected 8th gear.
Hope this info helps. I will be interested in your results with the MAX, as I am considering trading up to one myself.

Ya longer wheelbase is definitely the way to go. The good thing is that the trailer is short relatively speaking. Only 26' tip to tail. So being in at under 7k lbs and at that max length coupled with the longer wheelbase with the vehicle should make for a pretty good towing experience.

CASPEROKC

Reaction score
Pulling a 7500 GVWR TT almost every weekend with a 4th Gen Max, with max tow package. Zero issues with power. Haven’t towed in the mountains but have pulled in some pretty good hills. Worst MPG I have seen is about 6MPG. This was on 91 octane in about 90 degree weather and 90% humidity. Running a WDH is a must. I have added sumo springs to the rear which have helped with more of the body roll / sway. Still running the factory tires. Run them at max cold pressure per the tire and running the trailer tires 5psi under max cold. The tire pressure has helped as well. We will be replacing the China bomb trailer tires with a heavier duty tire before long to help with the sidewall flex and upgrading the truck to load E tires too. Engine braking could be better. I do grab the trailer brake if I am having to stop fast just so I’m not putting so much on the front rotors stopping in a hurry.