Anyone tow a 7000lb camper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marqui3

Reaction score
Interesting about towing in 7th instead of 8th
what kind of difference do you see?
I can’t quite remember. I think it was around 2 or 3 litres per 100 Km. It was significant enough that it has become part of the routine when start on the road towing, tow/haul mode-lights on to power the rear camera-lock out 8,9,&10th.

Farmer2402

Reaction score
This is a late reply I know. But I have a very similar setup that may help you.

My rig is a 2019 2509s towing with an 2011 Expedition XLT with the tow package, using a Husky Centerline hitch. The tongue weight is the biggest problem on that trailer. Don't go by what the dealer says it is. I have 2 6V batteries and 2 30lb propane tanks on the tongue. I bought a tongue scale and it's over 1,000 lbs. This puts the rear axle weight at 96% of capacity and the GVW at 98% of capacity. So when we tow, there's no luggage in the Expedition and nothing on the roof rack. Everything gets loaded in the back of the trailer. I towed once with the fresh tank full and that added too much weight to the tongue.

I strongly recommend that you have a proper shop with scales set up your hitch, or do it yourself and use the CAT truck scales. I ended up weighing several times with different hitch adjustments to make sure all the weight was returned to the steer axle. Bring your tools to the truck stop so you can adjust in the parking lot. Get your calculator out and check the axle weights against the specs and measure the fender rise/fall. You don't need a tongue scale but I like knowing what my numbers are.

Towing experience has been overall good. I don't drive over 60mph. Hills are going to be a challenge. If you are out west with long descents and thin air I imagine this would be worse. If we go west it will be in an 3/4 ton, not the Expedition.

Ryeguy44

Reaction score
We tow a Keystone Bullet 290BHS with our 2020 limited Max with tow package. Cat scale weight fully loaded with our stuff is just over 7000lbs. We have 3 kids 14 and under so we don't pack anything else in the car other than maybe 50 lbs of snacks, etc. I have a tongue scale that I use to get the tongue weight right at 900lbs before each trip. With that, we are right at max rear axle weight using the blue ox track pro (not sway pro) hitch. I have played with it a lot and might be able to get a little more weight to the front wheels but not much. I use high octane fuel when towing and raise tire pressures to 45 (22" wheels). Towing has truly been better than expected. Power is plentiful, hitch does an amazing job of controlling sway. Last trip we took it from the midwest down to Florida. I was a little nervous about tackling Monteagle pass west of Chattanooga. Pretty steep grades. Wasn't worried about going up, but more so about coming down. The tow Haul mode was a thing of beauty. I had watched the TFL truck video of them towing a 7000lbs trailer up and down the ike gauntlet and saw how blown away they were but wasn't sure if my experience would be the same. Coming down the steepest parts, I literally never touched the breaks unless I wanted to reduce the speed that I wanted the tow haul mode to hold the vehicle. It hung out in the 4 gear range +/- and held the speed like a diesel exhaust break would. I don't know why it works so well, even better than most 1/2 ton pickups, but it does. As many of you know, it also works great just coming to a stop on flat roads. Once you start to break, it starts downshifting and takes all the pressure off the breaks doing the work.

JetDriver

Reaction score
I'm towing an Imagine 2800BH (32' 7995 lbs) with a 17 Expedition EL.

I'm not a huge fan of these vehicles as tow platforms for travel trailers. My experience is that the IRS when under heavy loads allows undesirable changes in suspension geometry which causes the rear end of the truck to wiggle around. Its not dangerous but it is disconcerting.

I've add rear sumo springs and the HD rear Hellwig sway bar and those have helped. My next move is to upgrade the tires (likely to E load range LT tires) and install better shocks.

The trailer your looking at is shorter and lighter than mine so it will perform better when towing it. I don't know if the 18+ Expy's tow better than the prior IRS models. My firmest suggestion would be to invest in a ProPride 3P hitch. Its not cheap but its the only hitch that actually fixes the root causes of trailer sway and eliminates it entirely. When you consider that a soft wiggly rear suspension on a tow vehicle can be a contributing factor to trailer sway the ProPride becomes even more important in ensuring a safe towing experience.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm towing an Imagine 2800BH (32' 7995 lbs) with a 17 Expedition EL.

I'm not a huge fan of these vehicles as tow platforms for travel trailers. My experience is that the IRS when under heavy loads allows undesirable changes in suspension geometry which causes the rear end of the truck to wiggle around. Its not dangerous but it is disconcerting.

I've add rear sumo springs and the HD rear Hellwig sway bar and those have helped. My next move is to upgrade the tires (likely to E load range LT tires) and install better shocks.

The trailer your looking at is shorter and lighter than mine so it will perform better when towing it. I don't know if the 18+ Expy's tow better than the prior IRS models. My firmest suggestion would be to invest in a ProPride 3P hitch. Its not cheap but its the only hitch that actually fixes the root causes of trailer sway and eliminates it entirely. When you consider that a soft wiggly rear suspension on a tow vehicle can be a contributing factor to trailer sway the ProPride becomes even more important in ensuring a safe towing experience.
You're way over in capacity for that vehicle to begin with, so saying that the Expy isn't a great tow vehicle platform but overloading the vehicle to begin with spells it out. I tow a 6700-7000lb TT with 2 adults and couple of dogs and we are at the very limit of the capability of the truck in payload capacity and safety. And this is after upgrading springs, sway bars, Sumo spacers, new tires, and a very dialed in WDH. Prior to those upgrades it was a dicey trip every time, now it's manageable and comfortable, but I wouldn't tow any more than what I got now with any Expy. 2500 class for anything more IMHO.

JetDriver

Reaction score
I am maxed out but I am not way over on any of my capacities. I'm making the move to E load range LT tires now which will also hopefully help due to their stiffer sidewalls.

I'm not alone in my views on the Expy as a tow vehicle. The guys at TFLTruck called it wiggle butt when describing the behavior of an Expy when towing a heavy load.

You mention having upgraded the springs. What did you fit?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am maxed out but I am not way over on any of my capacities. I'm making the move to E load range LT tires now which will also hopefully help due to their stiffer sidewalls.

I'm not alone in my views on the Expy as a tow vehicle. The guys at TFLTruck called it wiggle butt when describing the behavior of an Expy when towing a heavy load.

In my opinion, the E tires help substantially. I had a similar experience with the rear end squirming on C tires. Since I've upgraded to E, the rear is much more planted and I have no issues with the towing performance. Granted, I haven't towed with a 3/4 ton or any other upgrades for comparison. But the E tires at 65 psi got rid of my biggest gripe, which was the squirming in the rear.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score

What is your tongue weight on a 8000lb trailer loaded up? My guess is 900-1100lbs. What is the payload capacity of your truck? Not much wiggle room there. Too much on the rear accounts for the "wiggle" butt.

Monroe Quick Struts all around were installed. I did not got to LT tires, no need for that in my daily driver. I put new Michellin LTX on the truck, and air them up to max PSI for trips and they do just fine. E rated tires is over kill, but to each their own.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is your tongue weight on a 8000lb trailer loaded up? My guess is 900-1100lbs. What is the payload capacity of your truck? Not much wiggle room there. Too much on the rear accounts for the "wiggle" butt.

Monroe Quick Struts all around were installed. I did not got to LT tires, no need for that in my daily driver. I put new Michellin LTX on the truck, and air them up to max PSI for trips and they do just fine. E rated tires is over kill, but to each their own.
In addition to improved stability, the "E" tires also provide greater puncture resistance.

mlogan

Reaction score
We have a Surveyor 296QBLE -- towing with the '15 Ecoboost with HD Tow and 22s.
Dry weight 6430+water, gear. Trailer is well balanced based on design/layout.
We keep most everything in the trailer, so only our family of 4 (500#) plus minimal gear in the Expy.
The trailer has a large rear storage compartment so can balance the water tank up front a bit.
We're near max or as close as I'd like to get but tows very well with the Equalizer 4pt WD/anti sway 1200lb hitch. I need to add another washer this year as they only installed 5 when 6 are probably ideal.
We have taken several road trips - from MN to Acadia, MN to Rocky Mtn and Yellowstone/Tetons. Passing 18 wheelers, crosswinds, up and down mtn passes, does very well for a 1/2 ton SUV. Did have some common 'overheat' issues this past Summer climbing long grades. Lousy mileage over 65mph. Never have felt unsafe or overloaded.
Monitoring Expy rear and trailer tire pressure/temps with a monitor gives some peace of mind as well. Planning to get a tongue scale or family run over to the CAT scale this Spring, long overdue.