Anyone using VR at home?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeff kushner, Jan 24, 2020.

1. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

Has anyone bought or toyed with getting VR?

There a several different types with varying costs now on the market, some very good.

As a couple of you guys know, I had a pretty kickbutt computer built last March. One of my goals was to find a VR set to enjoy with it. I didn't find anything that was really ready for primetime so I waited for the tech to catch up. In the past year, there have been several advances with firms debuting newer models and revised firmware/software packages. The most recent for the Rift S, convinced me to buy one.

While several wireless sets now exist, that do not require a computer at all. They are a blast with the freedom but of course sacrifice on other aspects.

There are so many different factors that can go into selecting one of these. Things like ease of use, space to use, ease of setup, where to run cabling(if you use remote sensors), degrees of freedom(movements), controller-features, headsets for glasses(mom didn't lie), comfort, ability to use entire computer from VR.....just a myriad of things to compare.

My search took me to the high end SCKL's but at up to five grand for a single headset, they exceed the cost of my first brand new car....can't do that....next was the Vive system.....very good, lots of features, choices etc.....but at $1,000-1,500, it's a lot of money to still have to deal with too much BS to me with remote sensors, stands etc. Next up was the Quest by Occulus. A wireless system so it was weak in several other areas.

Finally, the Rift S also by Occulus. Good picture, will allow my Beats to plug right in, easily adjustable headset(with accessories for glasses wearers), don't like the software based IPD & focus adj but not all is perfect for 400 bucks......it's a wired system w/ a DP & Type C usb connection cable( which is also a Virturalink port on my machine). There is also a wireless adapter available.

The beauty of living alone means I can select my "play area" anywhere.....I'll use the open end of the fireplace side of the kitchen for now....that gives me a "holodeck" 12 wide x 10 feet before I run into the kitchen table on the other side. These systems do not require anything larger and since the Rifts sensors are all built into the headset(5-camera inside-out tracking), once you gear up you just draw a virtual play area just inside your hard borders and the machine will let you know via background color if you are too close, like before you fall through a window hopefully! <LOL>

jeff

2. Dorzak

Dorzak Supporting Member Supporting Member

My son and daughter are adults still at home. My son bought the original Rift and didn’t use it much. My daughter uses it all the time. Mostly for Recroom and VR Chat.

3. jeff kushner

My friends at Amazon delivered it 2 hours ago. Amazing! It's literally like having your own Holodeck, complete with grid walls/fl/clg! You do as I'd heard...you stand still and draw the perimeter of your space. Then if you get close, you see the grid, as you move back, the grid fades away again. Pretty cool

The machine itself is flawless in it's operation, a lot like my Expy. I d/led the program, it opened & ran perfectly not even needing a reboot! It did soft & firmware updates and I watched as the controllers and headset lights lit up as the info was transferred. From that point, I put on my headset and did everything else on my holodeck.....cool as sh*T!

I haven't played any games yet but I did spend an hour in google Earth....right now, I'm hovering 100' over my one house in the holodeck. The headset automatically turns off when you remove it but it leaves you where you were....so you pick right up when you put it back on!

The character graphics are completely over the top! The alien ET being in one of the demo's stood 3 feet from me and it was awesome! I'm going to eat dinner, call Kerry and go figure out how to move, interact etc.....cool toy though, not "jetpack" cool, but pretty cool!

jeff

4. Redstripe19

Redstripe19 Active Member

Can you use it while wearing glasses?

5. jeff kushner

YES!! That was one of my major concerns, this headset allows for 150 or 155mm wide glasses. I tip the headset forward, fit my glasses into the headset while wearing them, then tilt the rear of the headset down in back to fitted position. Perfect, then once powered up which happens automatically as you put on the headset(it shuts down when you remove), you can move the headset lens closer or further.

jeff

6. Dorzak

I have heard nerf darts work well for eyeglass protectors in the Rift.

jeff kushner likes this.
  7. jeff kushner

Yesterday while at the office I ordered a VR program on Steam. When I arrived home, the program had been d/l'ed into my Oculus library, across platforms...very cool.

I found that wearing reading glasses, puts things right in focus. I used to roadrace motorcycles many years ago, Loudon, Pocono, Nelson Ledges....Last night, I climbed on to a 200mph hoverbike and raced....WOW! Remember, you aren't looking at it, you are on it! Its a 1st gen game so you can't slide it around corners like a real race bike but the upside of being a hoverbike it that going over instead of hitting the riprap on corners doesn't automatically put you on your ear! LOL

jeff

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  8. Dorzak

There is one game I would consider VR for - Elite Dangerous

9. Dorzak

sorry for the double post

10. jeff kushner

I've found a more challenging way to play the roller coasters.......standing up! Yes, you have to get into a "Ready" position then reach back, locate the RW chair behind.....then ride! If you begin to lose it, you can either go gently to the ground quickly or fall back into the chair.

If you think it would be easy to override what your eyes see and maintain your balance as you wiz around the track.....well, you need to change your way of thinking.

What "riding it" standing up does......(halfway through the ride, my knees hurt as do my toes....from "fighting the forces" trying to catapult me off the coaster) is to hone your balance....a LOT! That in turn affects other parts of your well being.....for me, I find it calming afterwards.

I'm also learning the dirty secret of VR. MANY programs have deliberate dropped resolutions to meet the "behind the curve" gear most people still run.

Some programs allow you to move them back up. I've got my Aircar program now to the point that flying over Tokyo is well, like looking out the window while flying over Tokyo instead of looking like a slightly comic recreation....

jeff