Apparently Expeditions suck offroad...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
USA TODAY - http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-03-02-trucks_x.htm

Posted 3/2/2004 12:10 AM Updated 3/5/2004 1:47 PM

Careful if you take that SUV off-road
By James R. Healey, USA TODAY
The most popular sport-utility vehicles are the worst for true off-road driving, says a new ranking by Consumer Reports magazine.
The four-wheel-drive vehicles that handle tough off-roading best, not surprisingly, are those with specific equipment for off-roading, exceptional ground clearance, or both. The top-ranked Toyota Tacoma pickup, for instance, was equipped with a differential lock to prevent wheelspin as well as larger tires and special shock absorbers as part of Toyota's TRD off-road option.

Top off-roaders

Consumer Reports rates 14 four-wheel-drive vehicles, of 34 tested, true off-roaders. From the best down:
Toyota Tacoma TRD
Chevrolet Avalanche
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Land Cruiser
Land Rover Discovery
Toyota 4Runner
Lexus GX470
Dodge Ram
Land Rover Freelander
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Kia Sorento
Nissan Xterra
VW Touareg
Mitsubishi Montero

Worst

Weight, on-road design put Expedition at bottom:
Chevrolet TrailBlazer/GMC Envoy
Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Ford Explorer
Ford Expedition

The magazine tested 34 vehicles with four-wheel-drive (4x4) systems that included low-range gearing, which is intended for extreme off-road situations where a combination of high power and very low speed is necessary to avoid getting stuck.

The magazine's engineers picked the 4x4 vehicles they thought would truly handle off-road situations. That turned out to be 14 of the total. Those that scored poorly generally are known for their smooth on-road behavior. The suspension systems and chassis layouts that do so well on pavement hampered the vehicles on the magazine's challenging slope, strewn with boulders and smaller rocks embedded in concrete so the rocks are in the same place for each test.

Two of the worst, Ford Explorer and Chevrolet TrailBlazer, are the two best-selling SUVs in the USA. Ford Expedition, judged worst of any tested, is the second-best-selling full-size SUV, behind Chevy Tahoe. Ford spokesman Jon Harmon noted that Ford SUVs are top sellers "because they offer the best combination of all-around utility, both on- and off-road." Chevy spokesman Mike Stoller pointed to TrailBlazer's strong sales and said, "TrailBlazer performs well for what it was designed for — use in everyday life, including off-pavement needs."

Oh no!

sngltrck1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Apparently Expeditions suck offroad..."

Then why is it so darn fun! :)

Seriously though ... wonder what year they were testing. (2004 posting)

1st gen's seem better suited than later years.

Also, most of us that offroad frequently are not running even close to stock.

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactally, these SUV's are basically the same in every way to the trucks. Just no bed. More or less haha :)

Rockunlimited2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its realitive. I had a fullly modded Jeep Rubicon that was a moster off road, but was a pain to DD, a modded Expedition would do fine, heck the stock expedition gets the job done. If wheel that much, and you are getting your expedition stuck on a regular basis, you bought the wrong vehical. I don't regret trading in the Jeep for what I have now.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
put my expy up against ANY Discovery vehicle, or toyota ( i used to own a yota 4x4) and i bet you i make it through more... and then have to come back to pull em out!!!

Rockunlimited2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
put my expy up against ANY Discovery vehicle, or toyota ( i used to own a yota 4x4) and i bet you i make it through more... and then have to come back to pull em out!!!

WWWOOOOOOHHHHHH there hoss, mabey in light/med mud, but lets not get nuts here. Does not matter what you do to an expy, it will not keep up with a jeep on tight trails and serious rocks. I ran my Rubicon on Hold Cross trail in CO and I promise you a fully modded expediton would not have made it up clevland rock. That being said I am not slamming the expedition, I just think you may have got a little wound up is all. Yotas are killer off road rigs when set up correctly (Spooled/atlas'ed/geared to heck). Again I am thinking of rocks/difficult trails.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only off road i have done in my 2wd model is the Ga. forest service roads that are graveled and some dirt mountain roads in NC. Never had a problem and mine is stock as far as suspension. I cant see an expy doing rock crawling
but that isn't what i bought it for. Seems to me that the stock expy does what it was made for very well (move a lot of people and cargo). just my opinion.

sngltrck1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just did Bull Road (trail 202) in the Bradshaw Mt.'s this weekend.

Certain sections are easily a 3.5 to 4 on the ratings and required 4-low
the entire length of trail.

Only other vehicle at the end of this road was a pair of quads!

I just love the look of utter surprise when they see that front end come
up and over the ridges ... it's like ... whuuuuut????? :)

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my uncle does that in his jeep. and your thinking o its jeep and it goes anywhere. no. it was stock with street tires and he was deep into glamis. the only other vehicles were a quad he was with and a few bikes that were shocked to see him out that far. i cant wait to see how far my rig can go at truckhaven.