Apple Car Play USB Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurtyg2020

Reaction score
Has anyone done this with a 2016, upgrade the current USB to the USB that alloys apple car play to work with SYNC 3? I had an android phone, but I got a new iPhone and want to be able to use apple car play. If someone has done it, where did you purchase the USB upgrade from? How much was it? I have started looking around on the web, and prices seem all over the board. Our local ford dealer is not the best, so I am going to bypass them and do it myself. Thanks

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The part is $55-80 at the dealer or dealers selling them online if you don’t have them $5 for the vinyl pry bars for auto interiors from Harbor Freight or $10 or so fron Pepboys. The USB Hub inside the center console pries up quickly. The electrical tape over a flathead screwdriver doesn’t work. There is two cables on the back. Don’t drop them down inside and it is a 5-10 minute job. One is a pretty standard automobile molex like power connector and the other is mini-USB.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To add to this I did the upgrade. There are 4 part numbers either one port or two and with either blue or white lighting around them.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just go to part counter and ask for the Hub out of the Center console for a 2017 Limited and you will get the correct part. Swap out and CarPlay will work. There is a Sync 3 thread around here that has the part numbers if you want them. Blue is the Ford Part, white LED is the Lincoln Part. Both will work.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just go to part counter and ask for the Hub out of the Center console for a 2017 Limited and you will get the correct part. Swap out and CarPlay will work. There is a Sync 3 thread around here that has the part numbers if you want them. Blue is the Ford Part, white LED is the Lincoln Part. Both will work.

Which reminds me. Check the box before leaving the dealer. There is a one port part used in F-150, Fiesta and others. Expedition uses the two port part shared with C-Max. It fits but you give up a USB port.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze