Apple Car Play USB Upgrade

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by Kurtyg2020, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Kurtyg2020

Kurtyg2020 Member

Has anyone done this with a 2016, upgrade the current USB to the USB that alloys apple car play to work with SYNC 3? I had an android phone, but I got a new iPhone and want to be able to use apple car play. If someone has done it, where did you purchase the USB upgrade from? How much was it? I have started looking around on the web, and prices seem all over the board. Our local ford dealer is not the best, so I am going to bypass them and do it myself. Thanks

2. Eagle72069

Eagle72069 Member

Infotainment.com had this I believe. I don’t know the cost their website might help you.

3. Dorzak

Dorzak Supporting Member Supporting Member

The part is $55-80 at the dealer or dealers selling them online if you don’t have them $5 for the vinyl pry bars for auto interiors from Harbor Freight or $10 or so fron Pepboys. The USB Hub inside the center console pries up quickly. The electrical tape over a flathead screwdriver doesn’t work. There is two cables on the back. Don’t drop them down inside and it is a 5-10 minute job. One is a pretty standard automobile molex like power connector and the other is mini-USB.

4. Dorzak

To add to this I did the upgrade. There are 4 part numbers either one port or two and with either blue or white lighting around them.

5. Kurtyg2020

Kurtyg2020 Member

Thank for the reply's

6. Bigbadbull

Bigbadbull Full Access Members

I did it my self, paid like $62 at my local ford dealer's part counter.

7. LokiWolf

LokiWolf Full Access Members

Just go to part counter and ask for the Hub out of the Center console for a 2017 Limited and you will get the correct part. Swap out and CarPlay will work. There is a Sync 3 thread around here that has the part numbers if you want them. Blue is the Ford Part, white LED is the Lincoln Part. Both will work.

8. Dorzak

Which reminds me. Check the box before leaving the dealer. There is a one port part used in F-150, Fiesta and others. Expedition uses the two port part shared with C-Max. It fits but you give up a USB port.