Apple Music/CarPlay Lossless and Dolby Atmos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey audiophiles among you...

Have you had a chance yet to play with Apple Music's Lossless and Dolby Atmos library via CarPlay? I've enjoyed it since day one. However, one spec I still cannot find the definitive answer on is what bitrate and sample size does CarPlay support.

A while back I did a basic spectrum analysis using different sources of audio, see link below. It was in no way scientific and only used the microphone on my iPad, although it was interesting to see a minor difference in response between audio coming from my phone and playing directly from a CD. (Which makes sense) I'll try this again now that Apple Music pushes Lossless audio and see if there's any difference.

For Atmos, there is a clear difference when enabled on supported tracks. Does it sound "better"? I'd say it's personal preference. The sound stage is certainly wider; you can tell the track is designed to place different channels in different positions within the sound stage. On the other hand, frequency response seems reduced overall, which I suspect is done to help create the "spatial audio" effect. (i.e. all frequencies need to be relatively normalized to avoid one channel (or voice) overpowering the others)

Cool stuff though. I'm by no means an expert so if anyone knows more, please let me pick your brain.