Are 2022's more reliable than my '18?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trying to figure out which direction we're going to go here...

Laundry List of issues with our 18 Platinum Max.......but we love the car. We've had it back for a week now while the dealer gets parts to fix current list of issues, and literally every time I drive it, something else stops working. I'm embarassed to add anything to the list as the dealer already has a ton of stuff they need to fix.

Driver's power running board stopped retracting yesterday, and last night my wife called and asked why the turbos are so loud all of a sudden. OMG.

We had 2 lousy Suburbans before this, but we love the space, performance, and mpg that the Expedition Max delivers. We've got 74k miles on this one (purchased with 60k, have Ford Extended warranty to 140k), and the repairs are insane. I told my wife that for this kind of reliability, she could be driving a Porsche LOL.

Wheel Bearings - Fixed
Power Boards - Fixed once already, both are intermittenly inop again.
Clicking passenger mirror is fixed with reflash, but now the mirrors don't fold, oh well.
Sunroof track needs to be replaced, won't open/close.
Seized rear brake caliper halfway to Florida last winter.
Loosing coolant, dealer can't figure out where 1.5 gallons has gone in last 14k miles.
Loud turbo whistle now
Needs Cam Phaser recall, suddenly rattling bad when it's first started (I know they will put new phasers on it, but we won't get the updated 4 bolt head, so it likely won't be fixed *forever*)
Has horrible hesitation / surge, possible related to re-flash last fall related to cam phasers
Dealer discovered valve cover + one turbo leaking oil
Power tilt steering broken
Rear Wiper burned out
Driver's seat foam prematurely wore out, I replaced on my own $$

If we trade this in, we'd be looking at either a Wagoneer (too small), Wagoneer L (would be a '23 with brand new, unproven Twin-Turbo I6 engine, no thanks), or another Expedition Max (this time I'd go brand new, probably a Max Limited.

Looking at the list of what's wrong with this one, I know at least some of these issues have been addressed/corrected on the newer years....

Thoughts??

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Geeze I hope the 22's are better!! Ours is supposed to be built next month and I'm hoping we have a lot better luck, we've have lots of issues with our '18 also.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing. My cam phasers just went out again this week (second time) at 61k miles. The cold startup noise is louder than before and happens if I park for a couple of hours, not just overnight. One of the horns doesn't work, the power sunshade makes a loud grinding noise, the console vinyl is cracking, and I have some creaks I can't figure out. I've already had some major repairs, like cam phasers and both turbos. I have an ESP, but if I'm having so many issues already I don't have a lot of confidence for a reliable future.

The Suburban/Yukon don't have a high enough tow rating for my travel trailer. I'm with you on the Wagoneer L. I'd want to wait a few years for the issues to be worked out. I've considered a '22 Expedition Max, but I might just jump to a 1-ton truck for towing our trailer. I'll definitely miss the convenience of daily driving and taking trips in the Expedition if I go that route.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing. My cam phasers just went out again this week (second time) at 61k miles. The cold startup noise is louder than before and happens if I park for a couple of hours, not just overnight. One of the horns doesn't work, the power sunshade makes a loud grinding noise, the console vinyl is cracking, and I have some creaks I can't figure out. I've already had some major repairs, like cam phasers and both turbos. I have an ESP, but if I'm having so many issues already I don't have a lot of confidence for a reliable future.

The Suburban/Yukon don't have a high enough tow rating for my travel trailer. I'm with you on the Wagoneer L. I'd want to wait a few years for the issues to be worked out. I've considered a '22 Expedition Max, but I might just jump to a 1-ton truck for towing our trailer. I'll definitely miss the convenience of daily driving and taking trips in the Expedition if I go that route.
I had a '13 Burb 2500 with the 6.0 that was a POS.......followed by a 14 Escalade ESV that we thought was pretty "high maintenance".... until we got this '18 Plat Max, which has been, hands down, the most problematic car we've ever had. But we love it.......love the space, the power, the comfort, etc. '22 Wagoneer Hemi is nice, but smaller. '23 Wagoneer L twin turbo has unproven drivetrain, so I'm not willing to go down that road. We use my Cummins Ram to tow our trailer. Theoretically, she could get away with driving an AWD Pacifica or Sienna, but she feels safer in a larger SUV on snowy Michigan roads when every oncoming vehicle is a Full size truck with a plow on it all winter LOL

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a '13 Burb 2500 with the 6.0 that was a POS.......followed by a 14 Escalade ESV that we thought was pretty "high maintenance".... until we got this '18 Plat Max, which has been, hands down, the most problematic car we've ever had. But we love it.......love the space, the power, the comfort, etc. '22 Wagoneer Hemi is nice, but smaller. '23 Wagoneer L twin turbo has unproven drivetrain, so I'm not willing to go down that road. We use my Cummins Ram to tow our trailer. Theoretically, she could get away with driving an AWD Pacifica or Sienna, but she feels safer in a larger SUV on snowy Michigan roads when every oncoming vehicle is a Full size truck with a plow on it all winter LOL
I feel the same way. Our '18 Limited Max has been more problematic than any of our previous cars (including an old BMW), but we love it. I've been thinking about a Cummins RAM 3500 or F-350 PSD, but losing the third row seating for our 3 kids and the livable size/maneuverability is what has me on the fence. My wife drives an XC90 which works for trips without the trailer, just not as well as the Expy.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had our '20 Max Limited for 30k miles, bought at 3k.

No issues to date except one of the RSE screens needed to be fixed under warranty.

No notice regarding the cam phasers from Ford as apparently this particular build date had the phasers resolved. We hadn't a problem with them to date.

With the limited miles we've put on the truck, no issues with reliability and it's a great Family vehicle.

Trading it in Monday on a '22. I'm confident the new vehicle will be just as reliable. Earlier years of new generations usually have some known problems, such as the '18s. The 2022s are .ore of a refresh in my mind then a remake so I'm not concerned.

APExpo

Reaction score
Did you go into the settings and check auto fold mirrors? It defaults to off after the reflash.

It’s not much, but maybe you can get one thing off your list, lol.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suspect some of your issues may stem from the 18 being the first year of its generation. With that number of issues, I would be looking at a trade.

ryanpe

Reaction score
I too heard all the horror stories with both the Expo and GM product. We had two Mazda CX9's (07', 15') bought new that never visited the dealer in a combined 250,000 miles. So since the CX9 is a Ford underneath we decided to go the Expo route to haul our newly purchased 23' travel trailer. We bought a 2021 Limited with 304A, Spcl Pkg, 22" wheels, HD Towing pkg and have put 24,000 miles on it in the last 8 months with 18,000 of those miles towing our 6500 lb 23' travel trailer. I am very pleased to say that we have had absolutely ZERO issues with it. I am a very **** car owner and I monitor every little issue but other than the pitiful 10.5 mpg we get while towing we absolutely love the truck. Also, 18,000 miles on our 2020 Lance 1985 has yielded only 4 loose screws on the range top and that's it as well. After every trip I pull the vehicle onto my lift and look for any issues. I have seen nothing on the bottom side that is bothersome. I did have to realign three of the four doors from the factory due to sloppy workmanship but nothing mechanical. I would highly recommend both the Expo and the Lance to anyone.

Reaction score
Your not alone- our ‘18 Max has been at the dealer A LOT but we love the seating, comfort and design. Wish Toyota would make a larger/extended version of Sequoia….. I would stay away from Jeep Wagoneer like the plague, but that’s just me. Do the Navigator L’s have the same problems?