Are the cats why I have no engine power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[This is a 2003 Expedition, with the 5.4L V8]

Okay, remember my complaint a while ago about spark plugs? Yeah, that wasn't the problem with my performance. What happened with those was:

Mechanic number 1 fixed vacuum line, and didn't put on the new one correctly.

Mechanic number 2 fixed the air flow sensor and the vacuum line, but broke the clip on cylinder 1's spark plug

Mechanic number 3 fixed the clip, and yay, no more misfires!

But I still have sucky engine power. Now, I can't even hit 70 while flooring it on the highway, I can put the pedal as far down as possible and the poor thing will be struggling so hard and I'm just barely managing 64.

A week or so ago I finally got a CEL code and the mechanic (unrelated to the three above) figured out it was either an O2 sensor or the catylic converters. So, we swapped out the O2 sensor, the cheaper of the two.

Didn't work.

Now I'm finding out that replacing the cats is gonna be about a thousand for either side, and I sure can't afford that. So, These are my options:

Option A: Somehow find cheap enough replacement cats and have it done properly

Option B: Have the cats removed, but I really, really don't want to have my check engine light on all the time because I won't know when something else is wrong. I'm told that I could remove the downstream cats and keep the upstream ones (which are enough to prevent a CEL) but does this work on a 2003? (I read that solution on a post about a 2000 expy)

Option C: Could it be something other than the cat? It idles rough, it has no power at high speed, the MPG is horrible, but the engine doesn't get hot, which I'm told is supposed to happen when the cats are dying.

Also, it's ticking, but the mechanic who read my code says that it's a normal thing for my engine. Is he right...? I could take a video of what it sounds like if you guys want.

(Oh, one last thing, I also need to fix my door ajar sensors, do you guys have a guide on that? It's pretty annoying going down the road to the tune of DING, DING, DING, DING... DING.... DING, DING, DING.... DING)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think we covered this before , but here goes. 1st thing get a 4th mechanic that's worth a damn! Really 3 boneheads just to get to this point! With all this time misfiring, it's probably a catalytic converter or 2. But first do a running fuel pressure test. Be sure your in tank fuel pump is up to *****. 28-45 running pressure is where you want to be. I posted a how to article earlier this week on a simple exaust flow test, I think it was If your using a digital heat gauge, the outlet of each cat should be about 100 degrees cooler than the inlet. Some members here have gutted out 1 or more cats to get flow again. The longer you run your SUV like this, the worse their going to get.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think we covered this before , but here goes. 1st thing get a 4th mechanic that's worth a damn! Really 3 boneheads just to get to this point! With all this time misfiring, it's probably a catalytic converter or 2. But first do a running fuel pressure test. Be sure your in tank fuel pump is up to *****. 28-45 running pressure is where you want to be. I posted a how to article earlier this week on a simple exaust flow test, I think it was If your using a digital heat gauge, the outlet of each cat should be about 100 degrees cooler than the inlet. Some members here have gutted out 1 or more cats to get flow again. The longer you run your SUV like this, the worse their going to get.

You think it's the cats sucking away my performance? And yeah, it took three people to fix the misfiring! >:C

Could you give me the link to your guide on pressure testing? And I really should get a digital heat gauge! Those would be useful for computers too :)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might not have the screw on Schrader valve for the fuel pressure test. Some years do, others have a T connection that you have to temporarily plumb in. Any digital heat gun will work for checking your exaust, or you can have an exaust shop in your area do a back pressure test. I think I paid around $30.00 years back for my heat gun .The fuel pressure gauge setup you can rent for free from O'Reilly's or AutoZone. You can Google how to do both tests.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might not have the screw on Schrader valve for the fuel pressure test. Some years do, others have a T connection that you have to temporarily plumb in. Any digital heat gun will work for checking your exaust, or you can have an exaust shop in your area do a back pressure test. I think I paid around $30.00 years back for my heat gun .The fuel pressure gauge setup you can rent for free from O'Reilly's or AutoZone. You can Google how to do both tests.

I might have to get them do the test, because nope, I don't got a Schrader valve :(

You think it's the cats, though? Like, is the ticking sound actually normal? At least it sure isn't that nasty clattering that my poor explorer's timing chain was making lol

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure there is no screw on valve? I am almost certain our 2000 has it bur maybe it was an 03+ thing.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aren't there places that sell cats for like $99 or $199 with trade-in or rebuild yours in low income neighborhoods in your state?

Around here they're all over the place

Seems like cats cost a bunch in materials but are quite recyclable or something, even after they stop working

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In this repair forum we try not to guess. That's why you or a shop tests items first. What if one of our members said definitely change the cat's, and that's not your problem.You'd be pretty pissed off. Your a computer tech, whenever possible, don't you diagnose a non working unit? Sure hope so!

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, haha, I think it's the cats. Expy decided he was going to throw one of the rear spark plugs out of itself, so since my insurance came with towing, he's at the mechanic and he'll be seen on Monday. All I did was try to start it, and POP!

IMG_20190503_1353160.jpg

IMG_20190503_1359358.jpg