Are there no reliable SUV’s anymore??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
New job will require I drive about 20-30k mi year so thought I might retire my ole gal w 212,*** and find something w 100k or so to use for another hundo miles, then sell and so on.

Reading all the different forums on Fords, Chevy etc in price range of $15k-18k w 100k mi, it seems everything pretty much sucks. WTF?

I don’t really need a pickup truck prefer SUV to keep my stuff dry and safe.

Need 4x4, tow capacity minimum 5000-6000lbs, and something that won’t break the bank in repairs between 100k mikes to 200k miles.

Makes me think these first gens are the best old trucks ever made.

If it wasn’t that I’m starting to get some rocker panel rust I’d just keep driving till 300k but I hate rust and it would cost more than her worth to have it fixed properly.

Any suggestions?

Plati

Reaction score
My 2014EL with 104K has been nearly perfect in terms of reliability and drivability.
I've managed to avoid rust using various measures. Do have the paint bubble thing, oh well.
It drives like it's brand new (no, it's not for sale).
Its a better vehicle than the first or second Gen I have owned or still own.
I value it at $15K

Maybe I have the only one?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My next bet would be a Land Rover defender if you're into import cars. It was my dad's dream vehicle. He loves British (Austin mini 850 cc) and German (VW Beetle 1969 model). God bless his soul.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unsure if you must have a full size SUV. If not, years ago I had a Hyundai Santa Fe. The most reliable SUV I ever owned. I noticed a 2016 AWD w/64K miles. Tow rating is at your bottom limit - 5000lb.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My vote is for a nicer 2v 2nd gen. No reason to drop 18k on something you're going to drive the wheels off of. Older vehicle may have a higher potential for failure but the 10k+ you'll have in the bank by choosing it let's you absorb a lot of issues. Just need to find something reasonably well kept. When mine starts to have serious issues I'll likely look for another but with half the miles or less.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My vote is for a nicer 2v 2nd gen. No reason to drop 18k on something you're going to drive the wheels off of. Older vehicle may have a higher potential for failure but the 10k+ you'll have in the bank by choosing it let's you absorb a lot of issues. Just need to find something reasonably well kept. When mine starts to have serious issues I'll likely look for another but with half the miles or less.

Not a bad idea. Sort of what I did but not driving it too much.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 1st gen. Liked it a lot. Like you, I thought I’d keep it forever. But I sold it for a 3rd gen. In terms of comfort and ease of driving, the 3rd gen isn’t even in the same league as the 1st gen.

The 1st gen is a crude machine. Gets the job done, sure. But it’s loud and drives like a truck. Which, it is more like a truck than other generations.

My 3rd gen is quiet and comfortable. I’ve driven 9+ hours on the interstate with it a couple times and it’s great. I also drove my 1st gen on many cross country trips and got to wondering about hearing loss (seriously). My phone decibel meter was flirting with the “red” zone on whichever scale it was on. My 3rd gen is MUCH lower. If you’re going to spend a lot of time on the highway, get something quiet.

And then there’s the drive-ability. The 4 speed of the 1st gen makes it rev out (which is loud) and the gear spacing makes it very noticeable when it shifts- probably not a huge deal in FL, but in CO I notice it going up hills. The 6 speed in the 3rd gen allows it to not rev out and has more gears available allows for it to stay at a more constant rpm.

Plus the torsion bars on the 1st gen compared to coil springs in the 3rd gen....... Torsion bars suck.

I liked my 1st gen. But I wouldn’t go back to one. I’ll stick to my 3rd gen.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unsure if you must have a full size SUV. If not, years ago I had a Hyundai Santa Fe. The most reliable SUV I ever owned. I noticed a 2016 AWD w/64K miles. Tow rating is at your bottom limit - 5000lb.

Ugh my mom had a 2008 Santa Fe with the 3.3 V6 and it was awful. Head gasket blew and smoked two alternators with the oil leaking out of the engine. Had a knock, lost a starter, went through many sets of wheel bearings all in the course of 100k miles. Blew out shocks. Jeez I could keep going. She bought it new in 2008....no more Korean cars for her. The Buick it replaced was much better.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ouch. I guess I got a good one JExpy. I drove it a ton of miles - close to 100K and only had to do tires, gas and fluid changes and brake pads. No other issues. Sorry about her experience.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
As cars become more complex, and engineering becomes less service-oriented it's harder to get high mileage out of these trucks. But it seems that the miles you do get are more reliable than they used to be. Recall in the 70's, overheating cars broken down everywhere on a summer day? Monthly visits for service?

These newer Fords have only once left me stranded in 400,000 miles of driving when my 2000 spit out a plug in Allentown. And that is some reliability record.

It's a mixed bag. With luck, most of these trucks will see 200,000 miles. That was nearly never the case thirty years ago. But I do agree, the 1st Generation seem like easier trucks to deal with and service. But they were less complex and, likewise had less features. Wish I could buy a new one today. I'm not a fan of softer ride in exchange for twenty additional rubber parts. Or better fuel mileage in exchange for turbos.

As I age and want to do less heavy work, I'm reevaluating how I do things. I'll probably be replacing these trucks at 150K miles instead of sucking out those extra 50K trouble-prone years. Since I can get a Ford warranty up to 140,000 miles, I may do that too. At least a powertrain warranty for $1000 will cover the timing chain guides, exhaust manifold studs and turbo crap that we're forced to deal with these days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK