Are there no reliable SUV’s anymore??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 1st gen. Liked it a lot. Like you, I thought I’d keep it forever. But I sold it for a 3rd gen. In terms of comfort and ease of driving, the 3rd gen isn’t even in the same league as the 1st gen.

The 1st gen is a crude machine. Gets the job done, sure. But it’s loud and drives like a truck. Which, it is more like a truck than other generations.

My 3rd gen is quiet and comfortable. I’ve driven 9+ hours on the interstate with it a couple times and it’s great. I also drove my 1st gen on many cross country trips and got to wondering about hearing loss (seriously). My phone decibel meter was flirting with the “red” zone on whichever scale it was on. My 3rd gen is MUCH lower. If you’re going to spend a lot of time on the highway, get something

This. The in laws had 1st gen Eddie Bauer and I was astounded at how poor the ride quality and handling were, how loud it was inside and how uncomfortable the interior design was. Still wonder to this day why it was purchased because they complained about it as soon as it was parked in their driveway. The 1st gen is completely off my list as I drove it for a couple days when I used to do some merch work many years ago and had quite a bit of stuff to haul around the state and it was a truly miserable experience. The only other full sized suv I'd driven at that point in my life were and Escalade and a Yukon XL and were considerably better all around.

Comfort wise, 2nd gen on up are about as comfortable as it gets imo (for ford). I drove several buick regals for years, the expy has a better ride on the highway for sure, noise levels are similar which is a lot to say for something as aerodynamic as a block of wood. Ford sedans are terrible w road noise from what I've experienced. The newer Taurus isn't so bad but the fusion and the like are embarrassing. The new stuff with ANC are the exception .

Experiencing a long quiet ride is quite relaxing when you get to where you need to be. I spend an hour a day commuting and it makes all the difference having some solitude on the road. Co workers that have ridden with me that drive your typical econo gas saver sedans are stunned at how quiet it is. Everyone expects my 200k+ truck to be an unrefined brute and are pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
My 2014EL with 104K has been nearly perfect in terms of reliability and drivability.
I've managed to avoid rust using various measures. Do have the paint bubble thing, oh well.
It drives like it's brand new (no, it's not for sale).
Its a better vehicle than the first or second Gen I have owned or still own.
I value it at $15K

Maybe I have the only one?

Nice. You may be a little low on the value. I’m finding the used car market is hot. Dealers looking for inventory. Interest rates for used isn’t bad either.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I had a 1st gen. Liked it a lot. Like you, I thought I’d keep it forever. But I sold it for a 3rd gen. In terms of comfort and ease of driving, the 3rd gen isn’t even in the same league as the 1st gen.

The 1st gen is a crude machine. Gets the job done, sure. But it’s loud and drives like a truck. Which, it is more like a truck than other generations.

My 3rd gen is quiet and comfortable. I’ve driven 9+ hours on the interstate with it a couple times and it’s great. I also drove my 1st gen on many cross country trips and got to wondering about hearing loss (seriously). My phone decibel meter was flirting with the “red” zone on whichever scale it was on. My 3rd gen is MUCH lower. If you’re going to spend a lot of time on the highway, get something quiet.

And then there’s the drive-ability. The 4 speed of the 1st gen makes it rev out (which is loud) and the gear spacing makes it very noticeable when it shifts- probably not a huge deal in FL, but in CO I notice it going up hills. The 6 speed in the 3rd gen allows it to not rev out and has more gears available allows for it to stay at a more constant rpm.

Plus the torsion bars on the 1st gen compared to coil springs in the 3rd gen....... Torsion bars suck.

I liked my 1st gen. But I wouldn’t go back to one. I’ll stick to my 3rd gen.

Lol! I just drove 600 miles today. From Vero Beach Fl to Greenville SC. I’ve walked to dinner, showered, getting ready to watch football and my body still feels like I’m driving.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
This. The in laws had 1st gen Eddie Bauer and I was astounded at how poor the ride quality and handling were, how loud it was inside and how uncomfortable the interior design was. Still wonder to this day why it was purchased because they complained about it as soon as it was parked in their driveway. The 1st gen is completely off my list as I drove it for a couple days when I used to do some merch work many years ago and had quite a bit of stuff to haul around the state and it was a truly miserable experience. The only other full sized suv I'd driven at that point in my life were and Escalade and a Yukon XL and were considerably better all around.

Comfort wise, 2nd gen on up are about as comfortable as it gets imo (for ford). I drove several buick regals for years, the expy has a better ride on the highway for sure, noise levels are similar which is a lot to say for something as aerodynamic as a block of wood. Ford sedans are terrible w road noise from what I've experienced. The newer Taurus isn't so bad but the fusion and the like are embarrassing. The new stuff with ANC are the exception .

Experiencing a long quiet ride is quite relaxing when you get to where you need to be. I spend an hour a day commuting and it makes all the difference having some solitude on the road. Co workers that have ridden with me that drive your typical econo gas saver sedans are stunned at how quiet it is. Everyone expects my 200k+ truck to be an unrefined brute and are pleasantly surprised.

I’m doing a lot of reading and the whole cam phaser blah blah blah w the 3v 5.4 scares the hell outta me. Otherwise I’d look for a nice 2014.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
As cars become more complex, and engineering becomes less service-oriented it's harder to get high mileage out of these trucks. But it seems that the miles you do get are more reliable than they used to be. Recall in the 70's, overheating cars broken down everywhere on a summer day? Monthly visits for service?

These newer Fords have only once left me stranded in 400,000 miles of driving when my 2000 spit out a plug in Allentown. And that is some reliability record.

It's a mixed bag. With luck, most of these trucks will see 200,000 miles. That was nearly never the case thirty years ago. But I do agree, the 1st Generation seem like easier trucks to deal with and service. But they were less complex and, likewise had less features. Wish I could buy a new one today. I'm not a fan of softer ride in exchange for twenty additional rubber parts. Or better fuel mileage in exchange for turbos.

As I age and want to do less heavy work, I'm reevaluating how I do things. I'll probably be replacing these trucks at 150K miles instead of sucking out those extra 50K trouble-prone years. Since I can get a Ford warranty up to 140,000 miles, I may do that too. At least a powertrain warranty for $1000 will cover the timing chain guides, exhaust manifold studs and turbo crap that we're forced to deal with these days.

Boy you hit the nail on the head. I paid heavy to get this last 50k outta my 1st gen. 212,5xx now I guess is long enough. Now if I can find a nice 2012-2014 Expy with less than a hundo thousand miles I might bite. I thought you couldn’t buy an extended warranty after 100,000 miles??

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my 2014 with around 93k miles. I’m not worried about the cam phaser issue. If they die, I’ll replace them. Until then, I’m running 5w30 like Fordtechmakuloco suggests.