Auto Start/Stop Disabled due to “Vehicle Charging”?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone run into this? I noticed my ASS wasn’t shutting the vehicle off. Went to the ASS Status menu and when I come to a stop it disables the ASS and this is the message I get.

Normal operation, now towing, nothing weird. No warning lights or anything. Been going on all afternoon. I’m trying to decide if I should be worried about my alternator or if it’s absolutely nothing at all and I’m being paranoid.

UPDATE: never mind. Apparently posting this was the fix because as soon as I did the ASS kicked in as normal. Sooo, sorry to bother you all. Haha.

f13b601b09d4907da039461e0b18198e.jpg

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone run into this? I noticed my ASS wasn’t shutting the vehicle off. Went to the ASS Status menu and when I come to a stop it disables the ASS and this is the message I get.

Normal operation, now towing, nothing weird. No warning lights or anything. Been going on all afternoon. I’m trying to decide if I should be worried about my alternator or if it’s absolutely nothing at all and I’m being paranoid.

UPDATE: never mind. Apparently posting this was the fix because as soon as I did the ASS kicked in as normal. Sooo, sorry to bother you all. Haha.

f13b601b09d4907da039461e0b18198e.jpg

The forum itself actually fixed something! Awesome. :lol:

EricExpedition

Reaction score
As someone who disables the AS/S every time I get in, I actually need to know how you broke it in the first place. LOL.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are doing a lot of start/stop driving the alternator may not be able to keep up with the amount of battery discharge during the start cycle. Not sure, but it may take two to three minutes of running to recover each start discharge or even longer if you have DRL's. Eventually the battery will get discharged enough for the BCM to disable the A.S.S. do to low battery charge. Sitting in a parking lot with the doors open and the entertainment system running, having lights on without the on may discharge the battery enough for the A. S. S. to take a while to become active.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
The AMP draw conistently needed to repeatedly start a vehicle is horrific for the battery cells and in return will greatly shorted the batteries life.

The repeated draw without any feeding current will quickly drain a battery.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We had this conversation about a month back. How hard is Starting/stopping on the starter itself. Unless Ford installed a super duty heavy duty starter, battery, and alternator, these parts are going to suffer. Their is a post here about how to disable the auto start/off feature. They used the Forscan program to do it. Highly recommended to disarm it. The mileage gain does not outweigh the wear on the electrical system components.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ASS = More unneeded "BS" driven by the dam EPA CAFE standards, more than likely in stop & go traffic where it keeps shutting off and restarting every light / stop sign the Alternator can't keep up with charging the battery by not charging long enough to put back in what was taken out restarting and the system has a fail safe built in that over rides the ASS system after the battery reaches a level of discharge , IF not for that you could reach a point where the battery might be to low to turn the engine over, BTW, this is just a guess on my part as to what's going on …………….

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ASS = More unneeded "BS" driven by the dam EPA CAFE standards, more than likely in stop & go traffic where it keeps shutting off and restarting every light / stop sign the Alternator can't keep up with charging the battery by not charging long enough to put back in what was taken out restarting and the system has a fail safe built in that over rides the ASS system after the battery reaches a level of discharge , IF not for that you could reach a point where the battery might be to low to turn the engine over, BTW, this is just a guess on my part as to what's going on …………….
Guess I should have read the other posts BEFORE posting mine seeing as someone else posted the same thing, make's me wonder what they ae teaching in auto engineering courses now day's seeing as anyone with common sense would know your going to run the battery down ALONG with depleting the electrolyte level in the battery at a faster than normal rate with the constant charging / discharge cycles to say nothing about wearing out the starters quicker, SHeesssh

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the original battery goes more than 2 years without failing, I'd be amazed. As Stamp posted about a week back, the new battery testing equipment doesn't put a proper load on the cells of a lead/acid battery, making questionable ones pass, when they should fail. And yes the EPA weenie's keep pushing harder and harder to make manufactures fuel economy go higher each year or so. Their running out of ideas, is where the start/stop came from. The only other thing besides lightening vehicles to dangerous levels, would be to do away with gasoline and Diesel engines completely. I'd give it another 20 years, and 90 percent of cars/trucks will be electric. Funny how electric cars were played with at turn of 20th century, and 118 years later a guy named Musk can't build them quick enough. SUVs and pickups are next in his 2021 catalog. Pg&e is going to love the bump in electrical usage.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk