Auto start stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just FYI the autostop eliminator hasn't been checked against a 2022 model yet. Does anyone know if there are changes to the wiring harness for the Sync 4A style dash? I'm guessing its the same.
Wait until they have a new harness. The dash for the 4A model is Nowhere near the same and the pre 22.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Found the post I was thinking of by @LokiWolf

However, hard to argue with someone who is stating no issues. Glad that ForScan route has worked for you. Perhaps Loki will chime in.

All I can say is I'm happy with the AutoStop Eliminator and appreciate not worrying about anything listed in the above post.
Yes, the newest flavors of FORSCAN can now actually disable A-S-S without causing the BCM issues from before. If you are using the drop downs and turning it off, and not old hard coding. Some 2018's and maybe 19's even when you used the BCM method did not throw an onscreen error, but I do not recommend, because well you are running the alternator and sending full voltage at the battery all the time. I know a button is SO hard to press. Even with it on, you just have to pull your foot slightly off the brake and the motor starts right back up. Even if you want it on before the light turns green. Heck most of the time even if you have to wait for the start you are moving before the idiot in front of you stops looking at their phone....just saying.

The AutoStop Eliminator is by far still the best option out there. A-S-S on when you want and off when you want with no coding or risk of issues.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If that is the case I'm wondering why you can bypass ASS as an option on the 2022's? (At least I believe remember reading that about the 22's)
Several new Fords are coming with it removed from the factory, as a Chip saving measure. They are taking the hit on the CAFE rating but my guess is that it is SO small they are willing to get more vehicles out. I don't expect that to stay as an option once the shortages catch up.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the newest flavors of FORSCAN can now actually disable A-S-S without causing the BCM issues from before. If you are using the drop downs and turning it off, and not old hard coding. Some 2018's and maybe 19's even when you used the BCM method did not throw an onscreen error, but I do not recommend, because well you are running the alternator and sending full voltage at the battery all the time. I know a button is SO hard to press. Even with it on, you just have to pull your foot slightly off the brake and the motor starts right back up. Even if you want it on before the light turns green. Heck most of the time even if you have to wait for the start you are moving before the idiot in front of you stops looking at their phone....just saying.

The AutoStop Eliminator is by far still the best option out there. A-S-S on when you want and off when you want with no coding or risk of issues.
Just for my own clarification, even if no onscreen error the alternator is sending full voltage at the battery all the time if you use ForScan to eliminate ASS?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just for my own clarification, even if no onscreen error the alternator is sending full voltage at the battery all the time if you use ForScan to eliminate ASS?
I have not tried it on any 4th Gen Expedition, but on other Ford platforms the current version, and few previous of FORSCAN can disable ASS without turning off BMC(I incorrectly said BCM in the previous post). If it was done using the old method, which was the only way available at the time of my linked post, it disables BMC. Which means the vehicle does not think it can monitor Battery voltage, so it sends full voltage all the time. The side effect, is that one of the required pre-requisites(Acceptable Battery to restart) isn't met and ASS does not engage. Basically you are turning off a useful system, to disable an annoying one, that Ford was nice enough to give us a button for.

Again, the new FORSCAN might be able to do it the right way, but I have not tested it. You would need to know the code location for the BMC disable and make sure that bit does not change when you use the drop down option to disable ASS. If it doesn't and ASS indeed does turn off, then FORSCAN is a viable option for this platform.

The big thing that EVERYBODY needs to remember. Ford is NOT keeping the programming and module config the same in a generation or even a model year anymore. That is proven by the fact that the 18/19's programming is different than the 2020's, and the 2021's even have a few small tweaks. With the chip shortage, Ford is making more changes even more often. On the 21+ 150's we are seeing changes after updates. Not only does the module matter, but the version will too. I haven't seen the modules on a 22 Expy yet, but I expect them to more closely match the 21+ 150 than the 21 Expedition. You change a bit based on previous coding, and if you did not back up, you could be REALLY sad. There is nobody that I am aware of mapping differences between the versions in this community, like there is in the 150's. With Russia and Ukraine and the FORSCAN developers being in Russia, there is risk of less and less support(They can't get paid). If you are on a 22, be very careful of the changes you make, and BACKUP before every change.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@LokiWolf , thanks for the follow-up. Also, I did not know ForScan was a Russian product. Wonder what that means for the future of the software given the current world situation? Anyway, thanks again for your time and the sharing of your knowledge.

Nutster

Reaction score
I installed an Autostop Eliminator, harness version, in my new-to-me 2019 Limited Stealth. It works but it disabled the camera button as well. I can no longer select the different camera views. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I installed an Autostop Eliminator, harness version, in my new-to-me 2019 Limited Stealth. It works but it disabled the camera button as well. I can no longer select the different camera views. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.
It has nothing to do with the camera system. My guess is you bumped a wire, accidently pulled one loose on the back of the button panel.

DJAucutt

Reaction score
Yes. Every time. On my 2018 Max Limited, it used to be almost seamless. I could hardly tell until I glanced at the tachometer and saw zero RPM. The restart would cause a shudder or vibration, but it was not annoying.
Earlier this year it stopped working; it did not work at all. I traced that to a battery that was having trouble holding a charge. Upon replacing the battery, the function resumed.
After 60,000 miles it still turns off quietly but jerks the whole car when it restarts. That's why I visited tonight; to find out what could cause such a rough restart.

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
The company that makes the Autostop Eliminator is in West Virginia and wants to make an updated unit for the 2022 Expy’s. I’m in S Florida or I’d do it with them. They need a 2022 Expy for a couple hours to reverse-engineer a plug-in bracket behind the button to make the eliminator work with the 2022’s as a simple plug-in. I called them and they said they’d give anyone with a 2022 Expy $350 cash, plus a free auto-stop eliminator; it would take about 3 hours. Once someone does it t, the rest of us can order them.

The nice thing about the Autostop eliminator that I like better than the Forscan is that it affects ONLY the Autostop feature (nothing else) and it doesn’t use the info port under the dash. It simply remembers the last choice of on or off instead of defaulting to off, so you can still turn it back on easily if you wanted to (like if your state has emissions testing).

Unfortunately, removing it from the factory it isn’t an option with the 304A, I’m assuming due to the higher emissions of the high-output engine.

And to everyone who loves it, remember in about 5 years when the truck isn’t brand new and takes a couple seconds to start (like most older cars) it’ll be a nightmare. Although you’ll probably trade up by then and it’ll be someone else’s problem, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze