Auto stop benefit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vehicles should be able to last that long though.
Agreed. But I only care if it makes it to 90k or so.

I think we may be getting to the root of this debate.

You've got folks on one side who want to keep the car forever, and then folks on the other (like me) who will likely get rid of it for something new when my extended warranty runs out.

Sure there are some long-term folks that don't mind ASS and some folks that still hate it even though the long term effects have no bearing on us, but I think this may be where our group sensitivity lies.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Agreed. But I only care if it makes it to 90k or so.

I think we may be getting to the root of this debate.

You've got folks on one side who want to keep the car forever, and then folks on the other (like me) who will likely get rid of it for something new when my extended warranty runs out.

Sure there are some long-term folks that don't mind ASS and some folks that still hate it even though the long term effects have no bearing on us, but I think this may be where our group sensitivity lies.
Somebody will be driving it … MrToby? I hope. resale value etc.

Reminds me of my brother in law built a BIG house with a pressure treated lumber foundation. The basement walls are PT! I said "what are you, F'in crazy?". He said he didnt care, he'd be dead by the time it rotted out. Well, I hope he doesn't need to sell it B4 that.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Somebody will be driving it … MrToby? I hope. resale value etc.

Reminds me of my brother in law built a BIG house with a pressure treated lumber foundation. The basement walls are PT! I said "what are you, F'in crazy?". He said he didnt care, he'd be dead by the time it rotted out. Well, I hope he doesn't need to sell it B4 that.
Given that in 8 years you will be hard-pressed to find a used vehicle (that is worth buying) that DOESN'T have ASS, I will gladly take my chances on the potential reduction in resale value based on the presence of that system.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wifes sedan has 170K on it and we haven't put anything serious into it for repairs and it runs and drives like new and has less rust under it than my 18 Expedition with 8,000 miles on it. I'll keep that car until it won't move.
I can already see that these American made vehicles will rot to pieces long before the drivetrain gives up. (yes I've Fluid Filmed mine after purchasing it. It rusted this much on the dealership lot for the 8 months before I bought it).

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate this feature and bought the memorizer from 4D in case I was in a situation where I wanted it. I hate the sudden lurching associated with it when the vehicle starts back up, it isn’t much but it’s there. Maybe more so on the higher output Platinum I’m driving. It was most irritating as I’m pulling into my garage and have the motor shut off, then having to take my foot off more than I like to get started again. I could see that was a recipe for a potential bumper into the storage rack, followed by said rack falling into my Expedition and the wife’s MKS. If I’m in heavy traffic I may turn it back on but for normal driving here in West Michigan in the Grand Rapids area I’ll disable it. I forgot to disable it periodically so I bought the memorizer.

That was the worst and what sent me over the edge to get my ASS. I'd pull into the driveway, stop, and before I could put it in park it would shut off. Then as soon as I put it in park it would restart. All within a few femtoseconds it seemed. The workaround was to just hit the start/stop button and let it shift to park itself, but I could never remember to do it out of habit of wanting to be in park before shutting off the vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni