Auto up/down reinitialize

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to start another thread, like this, but I really need some advice. I have a 2009 Expy EL XLT. My drivers window suddenly jammed last Saturday. I bought a new regulator with the cables and all from Alliance Auto and installed it. I used the same motor. Now my window works fine except that I lost the auto up/down feature. It really comes in handy when you are fumbling for change at the toll booth. I have found 3 different procedures for un-initializing and re-initializing the window. One had me turn the key on/off 5 times, another had me pressing the window button 6 times, Another had me disconnecting the battery while the glass was moving. Then all of them had me raise the window all the way 2 seconds, wait 3, then down all the way 2 seconds. NONE OF THESE WORK!:disgust: So now I'm appealing to the forum for help. Surely someone must have been there/done that. Please????

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Window Motor Initialization
Window Motor Initialization

CAUTION: Make sure that no obstructions are present in the window system when carrying out this procedure.

NOTE: The LF/RF window motor is in proportional up/down mode until initialized.

NOTE: The LF/RF window motor must be reinitialized whenever: the motor is removed from window regulator drum housing, a new motor is installed, a new window regulator is installed, new window glass is installed, glass top run removal or installation or when carrying out any operation in which grease or lubricants are applied to the window system. Refer to the De-Initialization Procedure prior to performing this procedure (unless a new motor is being installed).

NOTE: All LF/RF window components (window glass, window regulator, window motor and glass top run) must be installed and tightened to specification before carrying out this procedure.

NOTE: If this procedure is only partially completed, the LF/RF window motor will remain un-initialized and only the proportional up/down functions will operate.

Start with the ignition key in the OFF position and with the LF/RF door open.
Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
Activate and hold the window control switch in the DOWN position until the window glass stalls for one second at the bottom of its travel and release the switch.
Activate and hold the window control switch in the UP position until the window glass stalls for one second into the glass top run and release the switch.
Verify correct operation of the LF/RF window by carrying out a one-touch down, one-touch up, proportional down and proportional up. If the window does not operate correctly, carefully repeat this procedure.
De-Initialization Procedure

NOTE: A motor which is initialized already (one-touch up and one-touch down are functional) must be de-initialized prior to carrying out the window motor initialization procedure.

Start with the ignition key in the RUN position and the LF/RF door open.
NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 must be performed within 8 seconds.

Turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN 5 times.
Press the window control switch to the one-touch DOWN position (second detent) and release.
Verify that the window only performs proportional up and down movements. If the window still performs auto operations, carefully repeat this procedure.

OP
OP
Tocapet

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tried that.

Yes, I did read the owner's manual and it does not cover the init procedure.

The one you sent is one of the 3 that I have tried multiple times. The sheet I have is for a 2008 Expedition/Navigator. But it says exactly what you sent. Mine is a 2009, but it shouldn't make any difference. One of the other procedures I tried was for a 2005.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what I sent was from the 2007 manual

have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 15-20 minutes then try the procedure

OP
OP
Tocapet

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what I sent was from the 2007 manual

have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 15-20 minutes then try the procedure

I did disconnect it, but only for a minute or two. I had to have my wife run the window down so I could disconnect it while the glass was moving according to one of the 3 procedures. I just came back in from trying your procedure. The only difference was holding the button down and then up for 1 second instead of 2 like my other sheet says. I will try the battery disconnect and get back to you.

OP
OP
Tocapet

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not sure if that will work but may be worth a try

Trying it now. Hope it works, but at this point...... I may be out of luck.

The one-touch worked before the regulator messed up. The cable got frayed and jammed the pulley. Window was stuck in the down position.
in the rain. Plastic bag over the door all night. No fun.

Now I have to hold the button down in order to lower the glass.