Automatic climate settings upon remote start in 2014?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
So, in my wife's old Buick, when she would use remote start in the winter, the climate control would automatically adjust to blast the heat on full through the defrost, and would turn on the heated seats.
When she would use it in the summer, the climate control would automatically adjust to blast the AC on full through the vents and would turn on the vented seats.

Is there a way to make my '14 KR do this?

Dannyboy11222

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure. But I just set mine before I turn the truck off and it keeps it settings...

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Yeah, I should have explained better. :)

So, usually the last thing I do in my truck is pick up the kids from school. They get out at different times, and I'm usually sitting with my youngest in the car for 10, 15 minutes while we wait for the older two.
He's on the spectrum, and is therefore very temperature sensitive yet inflexible when it comes to how things are in the car. (I kid you not, he had VERY strong feelings when we traded in the Yukon we'd had for 6 years) So usually while we sit, I lower the temp and fan speed to something reasonable, otherwise he gets too hot.

Problem arises when I go to leave for work at 5am, and the car is frozen and windshields need scraped and I forgot to reset the temperature controls from the previous day. The remote start is good for the engine, but doesn't help my creature comforts of not having to scrape ice off my windshield.

Didn't have the problem in the Yukon, because the heater wasn't that great in the first place and I could leave it full blast and he didn't get too hot. The Expy gets hot enough you could bake cookies. :D
Didn't have the problem in the Buick because it would automatically apply those settings when the remote start was used, and then would revert to whatever the driver left them at when they actually got in and turned the key.

So I want my Expy to behave more like the old Buick in this case.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 07-14 Expeditions seem to hold the fan speed low until the engine coolant temp reaches a set point of heat. You could set the heat to max but if the engines cold it won’t ramp up because the computer tells the HVAC module there is no hot coolant, so it would be blowing cold air making us even more uncomfortable. On my 2007 I keep the cab set to 72 degrees. For the first five minutes or so of cold operation it holds the fan speed down. If I just have it idling it takes even longer for the fan to ramp up.

Usually when the cylinder head temperature sensor starts to move the engine temp needle past the cold position then the fan starts ramping up hard.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 14 Limited will retain whatever settings were left on when the auto start is used. Our 13 Escape will adjust to the conditions.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 03 remembers what it was on last be it auto or a set temp/blower speed. I have the dual zone auto controls and like mentioned above it holds the fan speed very low until the engine is at least a little warm.

OP
OP
Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
My 14 Limited will retain whatever settings were left on when the auto start is used. Our 13 Escape will adjust to the conditions.

Yes. I want my 14 KR to be as smart as a 13 Escape. But I guess I may want too much from Ford.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my 2016 in the left hand display there is a menu item for this auto or last settings. When I go to work at 5:00 am it can be in the low 40’s and high 60’s when I head home. However it doesn’t seem to do much when set to auto.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expeditions recall the settings from the last run cycle when it restarts and the heat turns on MAX when the cylinder head temp sensor starts reading heat until it reaches the set point. Unless you are warming your car up 20-30 minutes there really is no difference in the operation since in both cases heat is on maximum output for a while. I’d be pretty annoyed if my truck was 90 degrees when I got in if I have it set for 72....js. Now what I would like is for the heated mirrors and rear defroster to turn on for cold remote starts.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. I want my 14 KR to be as smart as a 13 Escape. But I guess I may want too much from Ford.
That is kind of my thought as well, lol. I've only had my 14 for a few months and I'm far from having all the idiosyncracies figured out but in this case I think it's simply a matter of an entirely different operating system from the 13 Escape to the 14 Expy. The platform for the 14 Expy was getting a little long in the tooth while the 13 Escape was completely new for that model year with nothing held over from previous years. I also discovered (and posted up in a different thread) about the 14 Expy having Sync1 while our 13 Escape SEL is Sync2... go figure.
:wtf:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360