Aux Fuel Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwyorman

Reaction score
Has anyone here added an extra fuel tank in the spare tire area? I'm thinking about moving the spare up to a mount on the rear bumper (if I can find one) and putting a spare fuel tank in its place. Has anyone tried this? I can't seem to find anyone who carries aftermarket fuel tanks that can be bolted up underneath the truck. Do the pickups have secondary tanks anymore? I haven't paid attention. I have a '97 Eddie Bauer. looks like there is plenty of room in there. It would be nice to double the range on this beast. Maybe I'll just fill the spare tire full of gas. And while I'm here, anyone have any ideas on the bumper mounted spare? Curt makes a front mounted hitch you can put a spare on, but I plan on putting a Bull Bar and winch up there soon. (don't anybody tell my wife please) I guess I'll just hang out over here in the corner now until someone notices me.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess is that finding a direct bolt in application will be tough, if not impossible. You'll have to find a tank that fits, have brackets made and figure out the wiring and plumbing yourself. Racecars use fuel cells all the time, so this part of the process isn't impossible. Check summitracing.com and places like that.

To make those brackets for the fuel cell, you might employ a welder. They might also be able to help you with the spare tire carrier.

Last edited:

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been entertaining this idea, and I'm thinking a stock rear tank or of a 80-90's F-series/bronco might fit the bill. The frames seem to be damn similar in width.

Be easy enough to cannibalize a fuel selection system out of one of them. Then run the fill up to the stock cap. Have to fab up a mount for two fill nozzles, but at that point I feel it'd be the least of any issues.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On gas cars IE ours they can’t sell larger tanks as a add on not approved for safety reasons (FHWA or Federal Highway Administration)Only option is add a fuel cell plum it in via a 2 tank toggle switch like the old f250 2 saddle tanks 15g each. One runs out switch tanks. Diesel is another story the F250-350 guys can buy extended tanks by ordering them off the rack.

Only gas ones I can find are like this.

https://www.4truck-accessories.com/products/category/auxiliary-fuel-tank

Last edited:

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the guy to have a nice chat with.
http://www.1lifelive.com/1lifelive-rig-specs.html
4579e137af50f08b17da906e4c7aa9f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

His videos are just so cringe worthy. Like he takes every comment personally as an attack, and feels the need to keep arguing long after the fact just to be right... At one point I muted it to watch the video, then I saw his secondary battery mount and his retarded reason for how/why he did it and I lost his channel.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^plus his website is designed like crap. I feel like my websites that I designed with Netscape back in college were better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni