Backfire and then all good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sam, make sure you check both sides of fuse for power, as well as using the continuity part of your ohm meter. A lot of times a fuse looks good to the eye but failed. Or one leg of the fuse socket is broken, or lost 12 volts!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the fuse is good I'd move on to checking the integrity of the circuit by checking your powers and grounds - especially at the EGR vacuum control solenoid as well as checking the function of the EGR itself w/ the test previously mentioned.

Do you have wiring diagrams for your vehicle? I've attached a pic below showing the power feed for some of the components you have codes for:

Image1.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sam Odajima

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. If it were electrical wouldnt I continually have a problem while driving? The shutter/stalling happens about 30 seconds into starting the expy and then it quits and runs fine afterwards.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, not neccessarily.

Your O2 sensors are not heating up as quickly as they should since there is a problem w/ the heater circuit. They will heat up eventually and function normally but it's taking too long and the computer is telling you this. Add a control issue with the EGR valve and you will see that you really need to do some basic electrical checks especially seeing how you have a code for every single component sharing the same hot wire. You've already swapped parts and it's still not working.

I'd also be interested in seeing whether the vehicle is in closed or open loop during the rough idle period. Do you have that ability on your scan tool?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sam Odajima

Reaction score
The wiring diagram was a huge help. No power to EGR or Evap purge solenoid. Rechecked fuse and that was good. Unraveled the wiring harness going into the fuse box and found the red/yellow wire was cut. Looks like the prior owner was splicing into the wires for an aftermarket radio or accessories. I fixed the connection and those codes have been cleared. No shutter after startup.

It did throw a new code P2195 O2 sensor in lean state. Any advise before I start trying to tackle this one?

BTW, thanks to all who chimed in and stopped me from throwing parts at this thing.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your P2195 was in your original list of codes. I'd look at your 02 sensor activity on a scan tool, verify stuck lean condition, and then see if you can wake it up with some propane (or whatever you have on hand) down the intake. Before that though, if you haven't driven it around already I would just clear the code, drive it around town, and see if she comes back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes