Backup Camera Intermittent Operation - 2015 EL XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDEVIR

Reaction score
Backup camera at time gives a real grainy black/gray image, and then suddenly at times gives a normal rear view with the colored zones and lines. Thought camera was bad, but been intermittently working. Any suggestions? Loose connection? Should I start in back and remove inside plastic panel to access. Have not torn apart lift gate from inside previously. If bad any discounted options to replace - are there many different models of the 19G490 camera (many look very similar).

scott216

Reaction score
I've got a 2015 EL and my camera is dying. I brought it to Ford today and they said the camera needs to be replaced. I'm considering doing it myself. Is the part number for the camera: FL1Z-19G490-B? Looking online it's going for about $260 or more.

OP
OP
M

MDEVIR

Reaction score
That is the same part number that my VIN came back with for a replacement camera. What may I ask was your camera doing that lead Ford to diagnose that it is dying?

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my 2011 Kia Sorrento I just traded, I had issues where the camera worked fine about 60% of the time. The dealer always replied, "We can't reproduce the problem. Bring it back when it doesn't work again...." (Rinse and Repeat...)

On the Kia, I opened the tailgate plastic molding (and broke a couple clips), but I found the connector between the camera and the wiring was loose. I clicked it back in place and it worked well for another 8 months. Then the problem started again, but I didn't feel like messing with it again since I was planning on dumping the car.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same issue with the backup cam on my '11 when I purchased it used in '15 (was malfunctioning day I picked up the truck). They replaced it (on their dime because I sure as hell wasn't paying) and it solved the problem. In January of this year, the problem started again. It usually acts up after it rains this time though, so I am betting it's a wiring issue this time around. So I would suggest you dismantle it and check the wiring before you replace the camera. Also, while you're in there it would probably be a good idea to improve the weather protection in the rear hatch. Ford essentially uses plastic sheeting and it does a piss poor job of protecting the electrical components back there.

scott216

Reaction score
Anyone know how to access the camera for an Expedition? I found some YouTube videos on the Explorer, but the Explorer liftgate is a lot different than the Expedition. I don't see any bolts and I'm reluctant to just go yanking on trim without knowing the right way to remove it.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know how to access the camera for an Expedition? I found some YouTube videos on the Explorer, but the Explorer liftgate is a lot different than the Expedition. I don't see any bolts and I'm reluctant to just go yanking on trim without knowing the right way to remove it.

I can only provide you with the service manual excerpt for 2011. The 2015 is surely different, but it's likely fundamentally the same. Ideally, pickup a 2015 service manual if you're going to have the truck for awhile.

scott216

Reaction score
I ended up purchasing the service manual on ebay for $10. I wasn't positive if it would be the right thing, but I think it's what I need.

scott216

Reaction score
I got the old camera out. Part number i n FL1T-19G490-AC. Does the whole part number matter, or is the "19G490" the only important part. I uploaded some pics of the liftgate and camera module.IMG_20170728_113634.jpg IMG_20170728_113626.jpg IMG_20170728_113500.jpg IMG_20170728_113447.jpg IMG_20170728_113437.jpg