Bad design of the spark plug port wells in the head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried dude. I really did but after four separate instances of badgering without offering any helpful feedback I bit back.

I've been on here for a while, you may have as well but I've never ever been badgered or ridiculed for asking opinions of forum peers.
There is/was this one member who would offer schematics and incredibly helpful feedback.

What happened to THAT forum??

And then on top of that, he reports me and then has the lack of logic to call me a "Karen"
I remember a saying, Ya gotta know when the gittin' is worth the goin'. Your dating yourself lol. Folks don't use schematics anymore, hell they don't know how to read a meter. Sadly those day's are gone for most.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah this guy is special thinking it’s ok to drill holes in the wells
Wouldn't it be better to simply state that it's not realistic and possibly state that he could damage the head? Forums are to help people that don't understand something, not a place for keyboard bullies to rant.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey man just let this guy drill his holes ok, he seems to think you can just put holes all over the wells to drain his fluids lol
Actually he was suggesting drilling holes in the head around the plug wells. He doesn't understand, so why not educate instead of ridicule?

lwbrown05

Reaction score
Seriously... I thought this was the whole purpose of a forum? To come forth with a problem and a theoretical solution then ask for opinions. At least that's what it used to be.

Heads are machined, ported, polished, modded, and even custom designed for race. So why is it so outlandish to think in theory, a drainage hole could be drilled as long as it doesn't of course intersect with an oil or coolant passage? It would simply go from the lowest measured point of the spark plug well to the outside edge of the head.
I thought of asking for a couple junk 5.4 heads to test drill all eight spark plug wells and see if any oil or coolant passages are hit. If they are, at least I can then see where they route and if a hole could be successfully drilled at a different angle that would serve the wanted result.

Our vehicles have ******, engineered to break away aluminum lower control arms so was it stupid of me to have mine gusseted with aircraft aluminum stock for increased strength? Mods are what some of us do. We don't do bolt-ons. We ponder, we theorize, we dream up solutions and then find a way to make them reality.

Scoff all you want. Maybe that's all you have going for you.
I applaud the out of the box thinking, although I don't think that this is one of those ideas that merit more time spent exploring, this is how things become "newer and better.". Without people willing to question the status quo we become stagnant.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seriously... I thought this was the whole purpose of a forum? To come forth with a problem and a theoretical solution then ask for opinions. At least that's what it used to be.

Heads are machined, ported, polished, modded, and even custom designed for race. So why is it so outlandish to think in theory, a drainage hole could be drilled as long as it doesn't of course intersect with an oil or coolant passage? It would simply go from the lowest measured point of the spark plug well to the outside edge of the head.
I thought of asking for a couple junk 5.4 heads to test drill all eight spark plug wells and see if any oil or coolant passages are hit. If they are, at least I can then see where they route and if a hole could be successfully drilled at a different angle that would serve the wanted result.

Our vehicles have ******, engineered to break away aluminum lower control arms so was it stupid of me to have mine gusseted with aircraft aluminum stock for increased strength? Mods are what some of us do. We don't do bolt-ons. We ponder, we theorize, we dream up solutions and then find a way to make them reality.

Scoff all you want. Maybe that's all you have going for you.
As a serious reply, in drilling a hole around the spark plug, you are almost guaranteed in hitting an oil, coolant, intake, or exhaust passage. I don't think it's possible to find a direct line from the spark plug depression to the outside of the head without hitting something. Better to either find a way to block the water, or change driving habits. I purchased a 78 Bronco brand new. I had it pretty much destroyed after 2 years from modding it and running it hard. Problem was I still had 2 more years left to pay it off.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'Can't see where you can drill dain holes without compromising the head. The boots for the COPs usually do a good job, but if this is an extreme use, you might want to remove them and swath tons of silicone grease on them. While you're at it, after blowing out the water, fill the wells with the silicone, push the boots back in and wipe off any excess that squeezes out. Now, there's no pace for the water to go. Another gentleman suggested what I see as baffles, which is another option.